Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > BIAB brew stand with hoist and pump

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #131
johns
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Can I ask where did you get the crane and what kind of Little Giant pump do you use?

Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder
WC Fields

Kegged: Centennial Blond

Bottled: Mambo in your mouth, Cranberry mead, Peach Ginger mead, HopSlam, Citra DIPA

Primary: Vanilla Bean Dark Lord.

Secondary: Firestone Walker Wooky Jack

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #132
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns View Post
Can I ask where did you get the crane and what kind of Little Giant pump do you use?
You can buy a shop crane at Harbor Freight Tools. They recently had a 1ton model on sale for $99. I paid $169 for mine. The bottom legs fold up and is easily moved out of the way. http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...t?q=shop+crane

My pump is a Teel that I bought 15-16 yrs ago. Back in the 90s, I read an article in Zymurgy or Brewing Techniques on RIMS and it was the same pump they used.

I bought the crane a couple of years ago to lift my new boat motor on and off of my wooden boat. The motor was 320lbs and I mounted it all by myself. I still had to have a pro program the engine management system though.

Now, it makes a great mash tun lift!
dsc_0060.jpg   j-j-30001.jpg  
Tap 3: Empty - APA coming June
Kolsch coming July

Primary:
Secondary:
Cold Conditioning: IPA
On Deck: Kolsch
On Deck: Pale Ale
On Deck: Dusseldorf Altbier

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #133
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Brewed Ed Worts Hause Pale Ale this morning and hit the bullseye on OG. Now all I need to do is build a proper winch support so I can eliminate using the shop crane.

Kolsch coming July

Primary:
Secondary:

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-18-2013, 11:50 PM   #134
speedoguy
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

@limulus, that set up in the first video you posted is pretty freakin sweet!

Old 02-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #135
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I understand the desire to have a dedicated stand, etc. for brewing, but there is really something to be said for multitasking in a small garage.

I have the 2 ton shop crane and also a 5500 lb pallet jack. If you spend the money on a shop crane, you won't be sorry. Mine has paid for itself many times over, lifting machine tools that weigh thousands of pounds (another hobby of mine). These things will laugh at a wet bucket of grain.

The boat winches are good because they lift straight up....versus the crane which will move slightly as its angle changes. But, you could set the height of the crane and use a simple pulley and cleat arrangement as the German guy in video #2 above is doing.

Really, for the money spent, a shop crane is a much more valuable tool than a purpose built BIAB winch....if you wanted to, you could use the crane as your stand (no direct flames, obviously)....zip ties could hold stuff like chillers. The legs fold up for easy storage, too.

When the need arises, you have a shop crane. You can't say the same for any other brew stand!

PortDawgBrewer Likes This 
Old 02-20-2013, 12:16 AM   #136
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I keep saying I'm going to build that dedicated stand. But right now I can store everything pretty easily and it does give the shop crane a purpose. Until I started using it for brewing, it was all folded up and I wondered if I would have any use for it again.

BTW, ScubaSteve, what ever became of your system that you were building couple of years ago?

Kolsch coming July

Primary:
Secondary:

-Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-20-2013, 04:37 PM   #137
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

The stands fold up into a really small footprint. It's one of those things....when you need it; you need it! I hoisted a 900 lb lathe into the back of a truck a few weeks ago...it wasn't happening any other way.

My system? Well, it was such a long and expensive build that once I reached the top of the "mountain" I brewed a few times and kind of got bored with it. I ended up getting out of brewing for a few years and used the money from the sale to buy a few machine tools. I kinda got bitten by the "old iron" bug....finding the really old, really well built stuff and fixing it up. So, I've restored a few machines here and there, but I kind of missed brewing.

I'm getting ready to move so I had to downsize on some of the tools. The money was burning a hole in my pocket so I bought a sweet welder and some other stuff. Currently I'm working on restoring a milling machine and building a mobile "power station" that will provide 30A&50A single phase 220, plus 3 phase 220 for my tools.

As far as brewing, I got a few BRAND NEW MODDED KEGS and have a 2-vessel system in the works...but haven't done much with it. I'm not really interested in going full-bore with the brewing like I used to...there are a LOT of other things I'm interested in....metalworking, knifemaking, gearmaking, gunsmithing to name a few.

I currently only have one batch aging....that'll be it until I move in May and get settled into the new house.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:55 AM   #138
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 188

Awesome stand. Seems totally doable and practical

Old 02-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #139
JUST_BREW_IT
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 16

nice design!!!

Old 07-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #140
speedoguy
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I began building my updated version of this stand yesterday, my first version was nice, but I just felt that it could have been a little better, I'll have pics in the next few days, the hoist set up will be a much easier to build and better set up than I previously had

Quick Reply