The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > BIAB brew stand with hoist and pump

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #111
speedoguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've had a few requests for stand dimensions, so here they are. keep in mind these dimensions should change based on your pot size, and how high you want the top of your pot, I wanted the top of my pot to be a little higher than my belly button, that way I wouldnt be bending over to much and I would still have plenty of room to see in the pot at any point in time without a stand

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #112
speedoguy
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

@fortydegnorth

Have you brewed with yours yet? I have brewed 3 batches with mine so far, I must say, its great, its a fast brew day, and easy to clean, my efficiency seems to be right around 75%, could be better, but i'm not complaining. Only problem I have is paint burning off, other than that its perfect for my needs, thanks for sharing your design, I was trying to figure out what style stand to build for a while, and once i saw yours it just made sense.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:40 AM   #113
Carlscan26
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 27

What model pump is that?

Old 12-20-2012, 06:52 PM   #114
speedoguy
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I used the chugger ss inline

Old 12-20-2012, 10:53 PM   #115
Carlscan26
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thx speedoguy. I was actually meaning to ask Forteydegnorth but I wasn't clear was I? Oh well.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:10 PM   #116
Carlscan26
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortydegnorth View Post
For anyone that cares, the Little Giant pump is absolutely amazing. I had two March 809 pumps before and they are about 3 times as loud, 10 times harder to prime and pump about half of what the Little Giant will do. I was shocked that it sucked the test water right out of the pot with hardly any noise. It primed instantly. I will only run this about 1/4 of it's potential and it's way overkill for my needs. I picked it up for the same price as a new March. Great little pump.
Fortydegnorth - what model little giant is that?

Old 12-21-2012, 12:31 AM   #117
fortydegnorth
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 5 Posts

I actually have not brewed with this yet. I know that sounds crazy but I got married last year and between that, work, money and other hobbies I just haven't started again. I do have a fermentation chamber built and ready. My wife suggested we brew this weekend. I own a landscaping business and it's supposed to snow tonight. If I'm plowing all day I doubt I'll be brewing Saturday. I plan to very soon though. Lots of grain in stock and a $50 gift card from the LHBS.

The pump is a Little Giant. Seems to be a great pump for the little testing I've done so far. Thanks for all the comments and the other builds look awesome. I love sharing ideas and building on other peoples visions. Brew updates to come once I get my butt in gear.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:55 AM   #118
Chuckabrewski
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

We need a video of this thing in action.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
-Frank Sinatra

Old 01-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #119
fortydegnorth
Recipes 

Finally going to brew with the BIAB stand. I have the yeast on the stir plate and the grain is ground and ready. I hope to brew tomorrow. Spent last night and most of today cleaning kegs, fermenters, and beer lines on the kegerator. When you haven't brewed in 10 months things get dirty. I'll take some pics tomorrow during the process and post how it goes.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #120
fortydegnorth
Recipes 

Brewed a batch of IPA on the new stand. Worked awesome! It was by far the easiest brewing I've done compared to the single tier 3 kettle Brutus system. I did 10 gallons of IPA. I first changed my Barley Crusher's gap for a tight crush. I'd have to get the feeler gauges out and measure it but it was really fine. I did end up with a lot of sediment going into the fermenter but I think it'll clear in a couple weeks. I had quite a few hops in this batch and it might have been from them. I started with about 13 gallons, 60 min mash with a 15 min mash out. I raised the basket up and let it drain and then smashed the grain with a round biscuit pan until it wasn't draining anymore. Once the grain was draining the heat was on to start the boil. I ended up with a little over 11.5 gallons for the start of the boil. Boiled 60 min and nailed the reciped OG of 1.064. It was right on the line in the refractometer which netted me 75% efficiency. That's about what I was getting with the Brutus and fly sparging. Post boil got me 10 gallons into the fermenter. Cleanup was awesome. Grabbed the basket and dumped it in the side yard for the animals, dumped the hop bag and hosed everything out. It was nice only having one pump and one pot to clean. Overall I was very impressed with how easy it was and how much I didn't have to mess with it during the process.

The crush, dough in, mash, drain and smash out the wort:

brewing-1.jpg   brewing-2.jpg   brewing-3.jpg   brewing-4.jpg   brewing-5.jpg  

Quick Reply