Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > BG 14 question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
Waltzie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default BG 14 question

I have 3 of the BG 14 burners from Agri Supply that are so popular on HBT. While one of the burners does get my keggle BK to boil, it seems to take forever. I have done a search, and cannot figure out what I am looking for. Is there a way to convert it to a high pressure set up to up the BTU's? It does not make the jet engine sound that my turkey fryer burners do. The flame kernels are between 1/4" to 1/2" tall, and blue. I am using what I believe are low pressure regulators (2) hooked to 2 20lb tanks. Is it as easy as switching the regualtors? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Waltzie

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3238 Times on 3139 Posts
Likes Given: 20

You need the burner orifice to match the type and pressure of fuel you're supplying the burner with. If you're using the high pressure LP orifice (which I believe comes stock from agri-supply), then yes, switching out the regulators to high pressure would solve the issue, but it would likely be cheaper to switch the orifice out. The benefit to low pressure is that it's usually cheaper and easier to add automation. The benefit to high pressure is a higher max BTU output. Even running low pressure you can get more than enough BTU's to bring 12 gal to a boil quickly.

Even using high pressure, that burner should run very quietly, so the fact that it doesn't sound like a jet engine isn't really telling you anything.

Edit: You might find this thread helpful-

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/high...rifice-230907/

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 05-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
jessup
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

switch regulators! i have two of the cheap HP burners (see pic) that work in tandem and they sure sound like jet engines to me. the regulator in the pic is a HP regulator and runs 2 of my burners at the same time with no problem at all. enjoy

set I: Pale (3) -> Mild (4-5) -> amber / Victory (20-25) -> special roast (40-50) -> brown (70)
set II: pilsner (2) -> Vienna (3-4) -> Munich (8-10) -> dark Munich (20) -> aromatic / melanoiden (25-30)
encore: smoked (5)

Old 05-11-2012, 09:47 PM   #4
outside92129
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 23

the burner/keggle distance may be a factor as is exhaust venting.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #5
OneHoppyGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessup View Post
switch regulators! i have two of the cheap HP burners (see pic) that work in tandem and they sure sound like jet engines to me. the regulator in the pic is a HP regulator and runs 2 of my burners at the same time with no problem at all. enjoy

This is not a BG 14 burner pictured
Juan is correct on the regulator. It should be a 0-15 psi regulator.
Outside is correct on the exhaust, There needs to be a 1 inch air gap above the burner for air intake.

Here's an example:

Brewright. All Rights Reserved. We reserve the right to brew and to help you brew. To protect the brew and defend the brew. To make the brew and drink the brew.

BrewSteel.com
BrewSteel on Facebook

Old 05-12-2012, 12:31 AM   #6
Waltzie
Recipes 

That stand looks pretty much identical to mine. I have 2" of space from the bottom of the keggle to the top of the burner. I currently have no desire to go the automated route, just wish to get the bk to boil faster. I will switch the regulators and report back. Thanks for the tips.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS