The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Better for DIY Kegerator: Chest Freezer or Upright Freezer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
BrianDorry55
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Better for DIY Kegerator: Chest Freezer or Upright Freezer?

Hey guys, so I'm looking into building my first kegerator here in the next week or two and I'm trying to decide whether to use a chest freezer or an upright freezer. I'm finding affordable options on craigslist in both styles...I'm looking for something that will fit 5 corny kegs. I've seen that for chest freezers you need about 10 cubic feet or more and I'm seeing upright freezers in the 55-56 inches tall range which should work fine. Does anyone have any opinions on the benefit of going with either style? I want my taps on the side of the freezer not the top by the way.

Thanks for any help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
D_Brew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I prefer chest freezers, not a fan of a bulky upright. You lose less cold air when you open them and the top makes a nice storage area for your pint glasses, liquor, etc. There are lots of plans floating around online to convert it to a "keezer" with taps up front. Then if you ever want to upgrade to something else, it can go back to being a normal freezer again.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
twalte
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I ended up going with a chest freezer. I was having difficulty with getting very clear beer, so I wanted to have the ability to put two carboys into the keezer to cold crash them. I went with a 14.8 cubic foot unit to provide room for kegs and carboys.

It really comes down to how you intend to use the unit.

My build was simple...nothing fancy.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/one-...-world-384032/

"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

Old 01-30-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
rdann87
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Since this thread is current... Just wondering if it has had a significant impact on your electricity bill?

Just wondering as I am planning a ferm chamber soon and have been debating a freezer for a while

"Always Be Kind to a Creative Mind"

Old 01-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
twalte
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdann87 View Post
Since this thread is current... Just wondering if it has had a significant impact on your electricity bill?

Just wondering as I am planning a ferm chamber soon and have been debating a freezer for a while
My freezer had an estimated annual usage cost on it at $38 per year. Old units could be considerably more.

"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

Old 01-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #6
BrianDorry55
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks man that's a great write-up. How many kegs/carboys can you fit in your freezer with the co2 tank? I was going to buy a separate/smaller chest freezer solely for cold crashing so I can adjust my temps without effecting my kegs...and so I can also use it to ferment beers that need to be a little colder (who can afford to cool their house below 73 degrees in Florida?). Is the collar absolutely necessary?

Old 01-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #7
BrianDorry55
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twalte View Post
I ended up going with a chest freezer. I was having difficulty with getting very clear beer, so I wanted to have the ability to put two carboys into the keezer to cold crash them. I went with a 14.8 cubic foot unit to provide room for kegs and carboys.

It really comes down to how you intend to use the unit.

My build was simple...nothing fancy.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/one-...-world-384032/
^ That was to you.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:37 PM   #8
twalte
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDorry55 View Post
^ That was to you.
Check out post #24 on this thread. It will show you potential capacities.

I have not filled mine yet...2 kegs are naturally carbing now. The only reason I added the collar was so I would be able to drill holes without damaging the lines inside. Since I was doing a collar, I went with a 6 inch collar so that I could continue to use the hanging basket to store yeast.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/ches...ayouts-377518/

- Frank Zappa

Old 01-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #9
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Also, dont buy a used fridge or freezer from craig's list. If you're going to put the money into a nice keezer, you dont want the freezer dying after 6 months. Spend a little more and buy a brand new one.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #10
twalte
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknifefight View Post
Also, dont buy a used fridge or freezer from craig's list. If you're going to put the money into a nice keezer, you dont want the freezer dying after 6 months. Spend a little more and buy a brand new one.
Agree. Also the same reason that I used the BillyBrew approach in case I needed to have warranty work done. Saw another post of someone who put a ton of work into a used model that ultimately did not work.

- Frank Zappa

Quick Reply