Best method for cutting stainless steel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1, I did not even think of that, hmmmm.

Use your tube cutter & just rock it back and forth until you punch thru to make the slit, and to make it wider just go a bit deeper. I drilled a small piece of wood(1/2") and stuck the tubing thru the hole to hold it in the vise while I worked the cutter back and forth. The wood crushed holding the tubing , nice clean job. Cheers:ban:

Bought a cobalt drill bit, cut through the stainless like buttah. Randall is all put together, can't wait to put it to use.

the reason you dont use a hack saw in some cases with stainless steel is it work hardens easy, this means by cutting with the hack saw vigorously you heat up and harden just the edge of the cut. in a situation where you need to flair the tube it will crack or split. if you dont need to flair its fine. or you can just cut with the hack saw slowly in one direction only, this will cut it without work hardening.

You do realize that you are responding to a thread from almost two years ago right? BTW welcome to HBT!

nope didnt pay attention, I was just looking for stainless cutting info, put my two cents in. its there for a future browser now.

Back