Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Best burner? Hurricane VS Jet VS Banjo?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2010, 02:24 AM   #1
Yavid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Best burner? Hurricane VS Jet VS Banjo?

I know this topic has been posted on here several times before, but after reading posts for 2 hours straight I am as confused as ever. I am currently in the process of designing a single tier brewing system. I really need some help choosing the right burners to use. Like many others I am starting with the Brutus 10 as a template.

I've noticed that many others who have built Brutus 10 clones have opted to use banjo burners or hurricane burners instead of the multi tip jet burners. I've also noticed that some people have used both (Hurricane style for MLT and Boil and Jet style for HLT). Using both styles is actually starting to make sense to me. Just wondering what everyone else's opinions are.

A little about my plans: I hope to run this system off low pressure propane (ie: BBQ tank) for the time being. Control will be manual at first but I'd like to build in some automation as funds become available. Eventually I would also like to hook the system up to NG (maybe in my next house, this one ain't a "keeper"). The ability to easily switch back and forth from LP to NG would be nice (but maybe not realistic). Not going through a bottle of propane in one 10G brew would be nice as well.

Any suggestions? If you were building a new single tier system with these goals in mind what would you use? My apologies for reposting this topic again but my eyes are killing me, it's time for bed and I was really hoping to shop around for burners tomorrow.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2010, 03:58 AM   #2
hbomb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds like you and I are working on similar projects. From the searches I've been doing it seems like jet burners should only be reserved for HLT lest they scorch your mash or wort. The hurricane burners can be used for both propane and natural gas, but might require some mod of the orifice for max performance with propane. And banjo burners seem like a good all around propane option, although some have had issues with quality control consistency and you might have to punch out some of the holes.

My criteria are pretty similar to yours and right now I'm leaning toward the banjos, maybe with a jet for my HLT. But I agree it seems tough to find discussion of specific enough differences to base a decision on. I'd really like to know which heats quickest without compromising quality. But as far as I can tell most of the differences sound subtle or subjective.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:22 AM   #3
Ricand
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm waffling back and forth on these options as well. Ubermick and I are doing an 'Et Two Brutus' build in the next week or so. We've got the stainless square tubing and he's chosen banjos. I have used a propane banjo on a turkey fryer, but want to go NG to get away from the tanks. I have a 6 burner impinged jet burner that is still in a box. If anyone has a clear direction from experience, I'd like to hear it too.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:43 AM   #4
Rad-Rabbit
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have been looking into the exact same thing for some time also.
Here is what I have found:

Hurricane 10" burners are LOW pressure burners, Banjo 10" burners are High pressure burners.
Both will give you the ability to have a fairly large degree of flame control unlike the multi tip jet wok burners. Differences are that Low pressure burners allow you the ability to convert to natural gas by 1 of 2 methods.
1) Purchasing a natural gas orifice
or,
2) Drilling out the LP propane orifice to a larger diameter opening according to the many available LP to Natural gas conversion charts available via Google search.
Additionally, you NEED to use either Natural gas or LP propane gas to utilize a standing or intermittent pilot REAL home furnace valve.

If you use High pressure propane you will likely need to use the ASCO or STC type valves as they are capable of functioning at higher pressure. The down side of this option is that they are NOT technically made for this use. (With that said, many people use this type of valve for this purpose all the time without any problem).
Furthermore, There in no safety valve built into this type of setup and if you are concerned with the pilot being blown out you should add a safety valve.

Lowest prices I have found to the Hurricane burners are $49.99 w/out orifices from http://www.gasngrills.com/gas-parts/stove-parts.html
Lowest price found for Banjo burners are $29.95 from http://www.agrisupply.com/search.asp?ss=burner

Low pressure Hurricane burners cost substantially more then high pressure Banjo burners. Intermittent gas valves cost substantially more then comparable standing pilot valves or ASCO/STC. Use your own judgment and budget to guide you to the heat source for you dream system.

One more bit of info, DO NOT BUY HURRICANE BURNERS FROM http://www.firehousecatering.com/hp_misc.htm, they have stolen $114 from me that I sent for burners. They will not return any phone calls, emails or even the dispute email from PayPal. This has become a terrible hassle. Through additional research I found a fellow HBT member to have gone through this same problem with them a few months before me. Fortunately for him PayPal refunded his money, I can only hope to be so lucky.

If any of the info I listed is incorrect please post you corrections so that I and the HBT community can be better informed.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:02 AM   #5
kladue
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts

The Hurricane and Banjo burners are essentially the same casting with different trade names, both can be used at both high and low pressure with appropriate jets. The Honeywell VR 8300a standing pilot valve is about the least expensive route for controlling the low pressure LP and NG systems, roughly $15-$20 more than just a STC solenoid valve. Conversion between LP and NG will mean burner jet, pilot orifice, and control valve regulator changes, about $15 in parts and a drill bit.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:29 PM   #6
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladue View Post
The Hurricane and Banjo burners are essentially the same casting with different trade names, both can be used at both high and low pressure with appropriate jets.
Is this true? If so, what do you mean when you say 'jets'? I would think you meant the tips where the flame comes out, but those are fixed on. Perhaps you meant orifice? Or maybe they are the same thing and I'm the one confused.

Either way, how do I convert my low pressure hurricane to high pressure? I need it for the occasional "larger than 10 gallon" brew.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:53 PM   #7
TimWeber
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for posting the thread. I am at the same point in my build and am having trouble choosing. I've read most of the post on this posts on this forum and still haven't decided on a burner. Since I will be using low flame on my MT I need to have the ability to have a small flame, and still light it with automation.

I'm making something more similar to a Brew-Magic, using a RIMS for mash control and the burner for stepping. I plan on using an intermittent pilot for control since I want to walk away from my rig while brewing. I am also starting off with a semi-auto set up and putting in more automation as my budget allows.

Fermentation Chamber

My carboy washer

You can follow me on Twitter @TimWeber

Old 01-14-2010, 03:22 PM   #8
kladue
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts

Sorry for the confusion, by "jet" I meant the gas orifice fitting, these can be changed out to suit operating pressure. Higher the system gas pressure, the higher the air flow and flame size from a given burner. The larger the burner the lower the change in output when switched between high to low system pressure because of lower back pressure at air/fuel mixer.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #9
Yavid
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok. So if I am understanding everything correctly:

Banjo burners & Hurricane burners have a wider range of adjustment then Jet burners.

Jet burners provide more BTU.

A Banjo burner of Hurricane burner is a better choice then a Jet burner for the Boil Kettle and MLT. You can use either style for the HLT.

A Banjo burner is the same casting as a Hurricane burner. Either burner can be run with high pressure or low pressure, NG or LP just by changing the gas orifice.

Any of these burners can be used in either a manual setup or an automated setup.

Is this all correct?

Old 01-14-2010, 03:50 PM   #10
Scimmia
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yavid View Post
A little about my plans: I hope to run this system off low pressure propane (ie: BBQ tank) for the time being.
Just so you don't get in trouble with the wrong parts, a 20# BBQ propane tank is a high pressure supply, low pressure would be a large tank set up to run a furnace.

Quick Reply