Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Beginner Welder Mistake??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2013, 03:57 AM   #1
dobbinsda
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Beginner Welder Mistake??

I am in the midst of building my dream brewery--Brutus clone. I am pretty green at welding and steel work, but things have been going well so far.

I am using 2x2 mild tube steel. 1/8 inch in thickness. Everything is fully welded using a Hobart MIG 140 with 75% Argon/25% CO2 shield.

Today I started grinding the welds on the top flush so not to scratch my pots. I guess I got caught up in the moment (or one too many brews) but I ended up grinding and polishing every weld on the stand. It took me a long time but it looks awesome. Now I am sitting here pondering if I did the wrong thing. I am wondering if I shouldn't have ground down most of the welds and that I may have left the joints too weak. I searched Google and HBT for info on weld strength, but everything I find doesn't seem to apply.

Everything seems sturdy but I don't want to find out otherwise midbrew.

So I am hoping for another DIYer to shed some light on issue. Should I go back and reweld some of the underneath areas or I am just being paranoid here and just enjoy the smooth bliss?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 03:59 AM   #2
stevo4361
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm not a certified welder but been welding on the farm and all that for awhile, you're fine man.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
dobbinsda
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for your input

Old 04-01-2013, 05:12 AM   #4
chuckjaxfl
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

How do you feel the 140 dealt w/ 1/8 mild? I'm looking at getting a first welder, very soon. I'm drawn to the 140 to make use of the 115 outlet (and save a couple hundred bucks!), but fear I'll regret it and wish I'd gone w/ the 180.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:23 AM   #5
kosmokramer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 36

dont worry about it, i have the same welder and did the same thing in my build... by grinding most of the weld off you definitely weaken the joint but as long as you had it hot enough and got good penetrations you should be okay for this application.

My eherms build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/rea...course-325623/

Help support my new LHBShttp://www.facebook.com/socalhomebrewing

Old 04-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #6
sigmund
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Did you bevel your tubing before welding and make sure all your metal was clean? The fact that you have to ask raises concerns. To be safer, you may want to cut apart one of your welds and see what it looks like before you assume that you are good to go. Having a few hundred pounds on there and having 8 gallons of boiling water, or more, dump because you had a bunch of welds fail might put a damper on the weekend........

Burkey Street Brewery
Gixxer Likes This 
Old 04-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
JDGator
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmund View Post
Did you bevel your tubing before welding and make sure all your metal was clean? The fact that you have to ask raises concerns. To be safer, you may want to cut apart one of your welds and see what it looks like before you assume that you are good to go. Having a few hundred pounds on there and having 8 gallons of boiling water, or more, dump because you had a bunch of welds fail might put a damper on the weekend........
if the welded joints were beveled it should be ok. if you just butt the joints then you may have an issue with them cracking. you likely have less then 1/16" weld now.

I would be worried about it cracking!!

Old 04-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #8
Durhamite
Vendor, woodworker, BREWER!!!
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Weld together some pieces of scrap using the EXACT technique/welder settings you used for the rest of the stand. Grind down the weld just as you did the others, then do a stress test.

LIKE us on Facebook!

Old 04-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #9
socalboomer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

With .120 steel, as ling as you have good, full penetration, you should be fine.

That's the big qualifier. You don't need to bevel .120 (1/8") ... Your weld should penetrate that far.

Do what Durham said...but use flat instead of your square. Use the same thickness and do a 1" bead. Stick it in a vice and bend it back and forth until either the weld breaks or the metal fails. This is what we do when we take the AWS cert tests for light gauge welding. The metal should fail BEFORE the weld breaks. Yes, it's hard to break it... But you can do it and it will show the quality of your weld...

And it's far better to find out how good/bad you can weld on THAT than on something holding 15x8lbs=120lbs x3 kettles =360lbs of scalding water...

On Tap: Chocolate Palomino Chocolate Oatmeal Porter
On Tap: Black Sand Foreign Extra Stout
On Tap: Gold Dust Pale
In Secondary: Gold Dust Pale (bottles conditioning)
In Secondary:
In Primary: O'Rally Red Amber
Next up: not sure yet

Old 04-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #10
Funkatollah
Recipes 

You could try hitting the weakest looking joint with a 5lb hammer. If it cracks, the welds are suspect. If not, you have a reason to gain confidence in your work.

Quick Reply