beer shower

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomtanner

Reaction score
Hello friends,

Today I finally found my third and final keg for my all grain conversion. Imagine my excitement as I finally found my last keg...... it was full of untapped 2 year old beer but who cares? I take my screwdriver and push the ball valve in and whaaaaaammmmmm! I got blasted by what seemed like a firehose of pressurized beer. I even read all the warnings from you guys about this and I still got pummeled in the face and in my hair and beard and my left ear.

LMAO!!! You've been officially beer baptized now... :rockin::ban::drunk:

I got a sanke coupler with one of the kegs I purchased. I have it configured so that I can use it to depressurize, or evacuate, any sanke kegs I get in the future.

Happened to me on my the first keg I was modifying to become a fermenter. After that I used a towel over the top of the valve, had it in the tub, and then used the screwdriver. That way it foamed/sprayed to the towel, and not me (or the walls and ceiling).

Bud Light here....yuck. Instead of the screwdriver, I now cap the output on the Sankey coupler, install it, then use the pressure relief on the side.

Mine was Bud...old Bud...smelled like, well, bad Bud (wait, isn't that redundant?).

My latest keg was from my old boss who had a bud light keg in is back yard for about 10 years. They used a pump tap to dispense and managed to pull some kind of funk into the keg while in use. So what I got was 10 year old funked bud light. It actually smelled interesting, though the floaties prevented me from sampling the batch.

On topic, I had read a thread like this before, so I had it on it's side and used a cresent wrench to release pressure. Sprayed the heck out of my block wall in the back yard, but I managed to make it out without harm.

Always put the keg on it's side to vent pressure. Don't forget to stand behind it too. :D

My first keg, I took it out into the yard and suffered the beer shower. When I got a second one a year later, I couldn't believe that I didn't think about putting it on it's side with the first.

What a noob mistake, but almost all of us make it :D.

When I modified mine, I just drilled a small hole (slowly!) right beside the coupler fitting. If you go slow enough, you'll hear it start to his when you break through. I waited until the hissing started to slow, then drilled the rest of the way. Very simple, no shower, and the hole will be removed anyway when you cut the top open.
tom

Back