Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Beaglebone Black as brewcontroller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2014, 09:31 PM   #1
Hutch1001
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Beaglebone Black as brewcontroller

I just purchased:
Adafruit Beagle Bone Black Starter Pack ( 1)
Micro HDMI to HDMI Cable - 2 meter ( 1)
Waterproof DS18B20 Digital temperature sensor + extras ( 4)
Adafruit Perma-Proto Half-sized Breadboard PCB - Single ( 1)

My plan is to have it run a eHERMs single tier. I am currently researching a touch screen as the interface and I must be crazy because I have no electronics or programming knowledge. I plan on using (2) 5500w elements in the HLT and BK. I will be doing 5-10 gal batches. I currently have 1 chugger pump and 1 propane burner which I have been working with for years.

Any wiring schematics and or thoughts that you feel would help, please discuss. I am not interested in automation of valves or pumps. I like doing that part and just want to touch screen to turn pumps on and off. This should make the programming side easier. I just want to build a touch screen Kal clone for now with automation maybe later.

I was following the "senior build" on this forum but he has not posted in a while.
I plan on posting all the steps as the build progresses, and I have a few friends in various professions that are going to be helping along the way.
I currently have a keggle for BK which I am mounting a quick disconnect immersion chiller inside of. A 10 gallon igloo MT, and a ss pot for HLT. BK & HLT are silver soldered 1/2" couplings and currently work great. New larger ss pot will be added when controller is built. (possibly adding inline pH if anyone has seen that used?)

Thanks in advance for all the good advice and info.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 03:18 AM   #2
hightechlofi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Beaglebone Black as brewcontroller

I am using the beaglebone black for almost exactly what you are doing. I will be controlling my pumps and rims tube, and later plan to control fermentation temps via heat jackets. The bonescript library makes it pretty easy to setup via node.js. I am using an express.js front end to allow me to control everything from a web interface on my computer or tablet. Here is my interface mockup. (Using DS18B20 temp probes too)

imageuploadedbyhome-brew1399432479.768729.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Old 05-07-2014, 03:59 AM   #3
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1285 Times on 1036 Posts

Is there a PID library that you can pull into whatever language you're actually using to run the wee beastie? I bet that would come in handy with all the electric heaters in your future (though not the pump, obviously)...

Cheers!

Old 05-07-2014, 12:02 PM   #4
hightechlofi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I ported the arduino pid library to javascript as a node.js module. In the near future I plan to do the same with the autotune library. I actually am using the pid with my (12vdc) pumps to be able to set a desired flow rate and let the pid adjust the pump output to maintain it.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:56 PM   #5
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1285 Times on 1036 Posts

Very cool. I didn't even think about DC pumps. You can do a lot with all that!

Cheers!

Old 05-07-2014, 01:11 PM   #6
Hutch1001
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the responses. UPS said my beaglebone will be here later today. I plan to play a bit tonight and at least get it up and start researching wiring. Has anyone tried pH monitoring, say for the mash output?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 05-07-2014, 01:46 PM   #7
hightechlofi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

http://m.ebay.com/itm/251457815300?nav=SEARCH

These are the 12v pumps I use, perfect for transfers and recirc. I have three, for the hlt, the mlt, and my rims tube. I still use a 120v march 809 pump for my bk to whirlpool and chill. It has a flowmeter attached, so I can track transfer volumes.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #8
RutherfordBrave
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Are you planning on documenting your setup, hitechlofi? Would love to start with your code base so I don't have to reinvent my own when my setup arrives!

Old 05-08-2014, 05:26 PM   #9
hightechlofi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes, once I have it cleaned up and better documented I plan on opensourcing it through GitHub so that (hopefully) people will enhance and build on it. I will also start a thread on homebrewtalk to document my system and how I have it all connected to the BBB so hopefully others can leverage the little I know into their setup. The BBB is a great platform and I think if those who are interested can work from the same base, we could come up with some pretty cool stuff!

Old 05-08-2014, 10:17 PM   #10
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 259 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightechlofi View Post
http://m.ebay.com/itm/251457815300?nav=SEARCH

These are the 12v pumps I use, perfect for transfers and recirc. I have three, for the hlt, the mlt, and my rims tube. I still use a 120v march 809 pump for my bk to whirlpool and chill. It has a flowmeter attached, so I can track transfer volumes.

What flowmeters are you using Hightech?

Quick Reply