New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > BBQ Build




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2009, 04:34 AM   #1
LazyPBar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Nevada
Posts: 196
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default BBQ Build

hey guys i figured i would post this. its a project i started back before the 4th of july and just finished it in november. i dont think that quite qualifies as procrastination... ok maybe a little bit. since i salvaged pretty much all of the metal this entire project (though not 100% completed) has only cost me the amount of a bucket of paint, a few seal beam lights, and two sheets of expanded metal.



i started off with the bbq. it was to be a free standing grill possibly with wheels to roll around the yard. the body was a water tank salvaged from an ancient cement truck. it was too perfect not to use. it already had a 6 inch vent out the top with a removable lid and brackets that bolted right to the angle iron frame i built. used the plasma to cut out the lid and welded stanley door hinges to the back of it. built the grill out of rounded angle iron and expanded metal. the rod is 3/4in black gas pipe welded to a ratchet reel for strapping down loads on trailers and semi's. the ratchet reel then is welded to the crank handle, thus enabling the grill to be raised and lowered. i will take some more photos to illustrate what i am describing, as my ability for comprehensible directions leaves something to be desired!

finally when the beast had to be moved for painting we realized that a mere stand with casters was not going to cut it. so we toyed around with the idea of building a trailer for it out of an old 4-wheeler frame. but i always say go big or go home. so we searched through our junk pile and came upon very large trailer hitches for mobile homes. heavy duty suckers with 10 in I-beam frames. so we started chopping them up and built the frame to the new bbq trailer. we also found the axles that went with the massive hitches. the square frame of the trailer ended up being approx. 6ft x 10ft with a 4ft tongue.









finally finished the wiring, and surprisingly all the lights work! still need to find some fenders and throw on some reflective tape before i can get her licensed, but as its winter now and not much barbecuing going on, it can probably wait.



__________________
LazyPBar is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2009, 04:44 AM   #2
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bad67z's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,884
Liked 104 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default

Wow, nice work! I didn't realize the scale of this until the trailer photo.



__________________
bad67z is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2009, 04:46 AM   #3
Brewmoor
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Brewmoor's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,094
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

That's got to be one heavy trailer. That is alot of steel. Looks like you even have room up front on the trailer to mount a brewing rig.

__________________

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve."

My build thread. Compact Single Tier!

Brewmoor is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2009, 02:42 PM   #4
tulsashag
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: tulsa, ok
Posts: 21
Default

Is that thing gonna be a big grill or smoker? just curious where the firebox is for indirect heating...

Barbecue has numerous regional variations in many parts of the world. Notably, in the Southern United States, practitioners consider barbecue to include only indirect methods of cooking over hardwood smoke, with the more direct methods to be called "grilling".

__________________
tulsashag is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2009, 03:03 PM   #5
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cheezydemon3's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: louisville
Posts: 12,135
Liked 1347 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 2346

Default

This may be in the top 10 coolest things ever....




I would HAVE to add a side box for cold smoking (or indirect) though.

__________________
this IS texas! we kicj u in pit. die code monkey!!!!@


- a very......very.....druck Zul'jin
cheezydemon3 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2009, 03:14 PM   #6
LazyPBar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Nevada
Posts: 196
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

yea it is just a grill, i must admit though it does have the 'smoker' look. i wanted one big enough that i could cook with wood. namely oak, we do a lot of lamb and i have yet to find a better way to cook it than grilled over black oak with my grandpa's 100 year old red wine sauce. I am thinking of adding a firebox so that i could smoke with it. i will get some closer pics of the grill and the inside.

as to the weight the trailer, it isnt quite as heavy as it looks. without the axle two of us were able to lift one end up and stand it on its side. it does look beefy though. definitely enough room for a couple of kegs or camping equipment (or both ), whatever the venue happens to be.
__________________

Montivagus Brewing Co.

Est. 2009
LazyPBar is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2009, 03:26 PM   #7
MMTG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MMTG's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 696
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Prost!That is one tailgating machine! Still has plenty of room for a satelite dish/LCD and portable keezer. Awesome

__________________
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/fallen-flag-brewery-keezer-build-154498/
MMTG is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2009, 03:40 PM   #8
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Manorville, New York
Posts: 2,758
Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyPBar View Post
hey guys i figured i would post this. its a project i started back before the 4th of july and just finished it in november. i dont think that quite qualifies as procrastination... ok maybe a little bit. since i salvaged pretty much all of the metal this entire project (though not 100% completed) has only cost me the amount of a bucket of paint, a few seal beam lights, and two sheets of expanded metal.
Are you building this pit to compete? I have a competition BBQ Team here in the northeast. We have won Reserve Grand Champion at a number of events but a Grand Championship has eluded us. Maybe we will get lucky this season. We cook with a Lang 84 Deluxe Stick Burner and a couple of Big Green Eggs.

__________________

Guy

Brewery URL: Black Dog Brewery NY

BBQ Team URL: Two Fat Polocks BBQ Team

Sawdustguy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2009, 04:03 PM   #9
Dr Vorlauf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dr Vorlauf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lehigh Valley,PA
Posts: 540
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyPBar View Post
yea it is just a grill, i must admit though it does have the 'smoker' look. i wanted one big enough that i could cook with wood. namely oak, we do a lot of lamb and i have yet to find a better way to cook it than grilled over black oak with my grandpa's 100 year old red wine sauce. I am thinking of adding a firebox so that i could smoke with it. i will get some closer pics of the grill and the inside.

as to the weight the trailer, it isnt quite as heavy as it looks. without the axle two of us were able to lift one end up and stand it on its side. it does look beefy though. definitely enough room for a couple of kegs or camping equipment (or both ), whatever the venue happens to be.
Very cool ! Can you give the recipe for the red wine sauce?
__________________

Veritas vos Liberabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmike View Post
Dr. Vorlauf.... you are a scary, scary man. Kimchee?!!
Dr Vorlauf is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2009, 04:42 PM   #10
LazyPBar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Nevada
Posts: 196
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Vorlauf View Post
Very cool ! Can you give the recipe for the red wine sauce?
sorry its kind of a closely guarded secret, most of my cousins don't even know it. but if you are interested in trying it and up for a road trip, come to the potter valley rodeo in california on may 30, 2010. my grandpa always bbq's for the rodeo, i usually make it every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
Are you building this pit to compete? I have a competition BBQ Team here in the northeast. We have won Reserve Grand Champion at a number of events but a Grand Championship has eluded us. Maybe we will get lucky this season. We cook with a Lang 84 Deluxe Stick Burner and a couple of Big Green Eggs.

thats awesome congratulations! no i dont compete, i would like to, but the closest competition to me, that i know of, is the Reno Rib Cookoff, and you have to own your own BBQ restaurant and be invited in order to compete. i have heard a lot of different people use the big green eggs but i have never seen one in action, how do you like em?


__________________

Montivagus Brewing Co.

Est. 2009
LazyPBar is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Bar Build brrman Equipment/Sanitation 77 08-22-2011 02:01 PM
Just another bar build D-Boss DIY Projects 19 05-23-2010 07:41 AM
Brew Stand - Build yourself or get someone else to build? Stevorino Equipment/Sanitation 36 12-23-2009 04:53 PM
Keg Build Help fretman124 Equipment/Sanitation 4 11-29-2007 12:28 PM