Basement brewroom with HERMS build
I"ve been working on this for last two months and finally got some visible results.
Main idea is to build basement brewroom with workshop where I can build/repair and brew some beer.
Setup will be hybrid electric/gas HERMS (electric elements for HLT and gas burner for BK).
This is how it starts, a bit of creative mess:
First thing to do was to bring water supply and drainage:
move the shelves and plaster the walls:
Cut keg tops
In meantime I started with keg to kettle conversion, more precisely with cutting keg top.
This is my "cut keg" jig, modified version of dutchoven"s jig:
I used keg tap to center whole construction with threaded rod:
and it was ready to start
Cuts were pretty clean, and after half of hour it was done, I used brush to clean sharp spots on edge:
For FB I made slots 0.08" wide, which makes 15% open area.
Minimum, but I sincerely hope that"ll work because if I intend to fill it with holes it will be pretty PITA without table drill.
It is still under construction and I"ll wait until I weld connections on keg before soldering it.
I used part of keg valve with some copper reducers to seal center for dip tube, it should be fine.
It took me couple of hours to cut slots with angle grinder. I used clamps to hold bottom in place and piece of wood batten to keep straight lines.
When cutting slots on SS it is good to cut layer by layer until we cut it out, this way the slots will be cleaner.
I love watching people build stuff, especially when they do quality work with straight lines and what not.
Can't wait to see how this all takes shape for you.
Looks good man. I'll be following to see how everything turns out
Currently I am in the middle of building HLT. It is plastic bucket since I have only 2 kegs that I"ll use for MLT and BK.
I had one of these buckets in my previous setup and never had problem when boiling in it.
HLT is almost done, I screwed up trying to tighten lock nut on RTD sensor (M8 thread)- too much force and thread on sensor broken.. I was pissed off..
When I calmed down I got the idea, I am going to use 1/2"-1/4" reducer which fits perfectly, put sensor trough it and seal it with epoxy.. hope it will work.
dIS, love the false bottom, and proof that you are extremely patient. That would have become a Frisbee in my hands.
|All times are GMT. The time now is 08:35 AM.|
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.