BrewerinBR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougan View Post
Awesome build. Just got myself a house and I am aspiring to do something like this myself eventually. I conveniently have a chimney that isn't being used so I may take advantage of that. Seeing these pictures gets me motivated.

Say, a tip-- I didn't read every post you had but just in case, I would consider changing those outlets to ground fault protected outlets. Might be overkill but It's probably required by building codes in your area (with the sink), although I think you can't really go into a basement brewery project with the expectation that you'll meet building codes .
Thank You ... I really love my brew room, it is nice and works well and I have everything in one place. In my township no permit is required until the work exceeds 100 square feet, so building codes were not an issue since there was no inspection. The room is on an isolated ground fault breaker. Have not got the sink installed yet because I need to solve the drain issue since there is no drain in the basement and need a pump system for it.

I seek not a hobby to fill my time; I seek a passion to fill my life!

Basement Brew Room Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/basement-brew-house-247971/

"Shame on the man of cultivated taste who permits refinement to develop into fastidiousness that unfits him for doing the rough work of a workaday world." -Theodore Roosevelt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2011, 05:35 PM   #52
Dougan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewerinBR View Post
Thank You ... I really love my brew room, it is nice and works well and I have everything in one place. In my township no permit is required until the work exceeds 100 square feet, so building codes were not an issue since there was no inspection. The room is on an isolated ground fault breaker. Have not got the sink installed yet because I need to solve the drain issue since there is no drain in the basement and need a pump system for it.
Cool. That ground fault main breaker is probably even better than my suggestion and not much more work since you started from scratch. Good to hear you have thought a lot about safety with all of this.

I still wonder what an insurance company will think of something like thid. My fear is that when I end up doing something like this, there is no level of safety they will be happy with.

"Traffic. If only it were as light as your beer" - Miller MGD 64 truck. A thought I have every day while driving in heavy traffic, downing light beers.

Search Recipes by Ingredients | Check out my brewing recipes!

Primary: Lagunitas IPA Clone
Kegged: German Pilsner, Clydesdale (Spotted Cow Clone)

Old 12-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #53
BrewerinBR

Recipes 

No need to worry about hurting the neighbors house, it is about a 1/2 mile away. If my house goes up in flames then it could start a forest fire and then I am totally screwed because it could start some of the 540,000 + acres of the Manistee National Forest that is right next to me. When I sent pics of the wood burners I installed to heat the house the insurance agent said, okay.
I would call Bayou but I am not using their burners, mine are low pressure burners with a low pressure regulator. No way as hot as the high pressure used by most brewers but the high pressure burners are not meant to be used indoors. The low pressure ones I use are clean and efficient and designed to be used indoors. No way near as fast and a 6 to 7 gallon boil takes some time to get a roiling boil but much safer indoors than the hot high pressure less efficient burners.

I will call the insurance agents and send them pics ... that is a good idea. Probably get the same response I did when I sent the pics about the wood stoves.

"Shame on the man of cultivated taste who permits refinement to develop into fastidiousness that unfits him for doing the rough work of a workaday world." -Theodore Roosevelt

Old 12-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #54
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 967 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The first few pictures were a bit odd in that the wall studs and ceiling joists look like they are mixed spacing and sometimes up to 46 inches on center. It's not really my cup of tea to do such things but the drywall is up and the train has left the station.

There are people that use propane tanks inside the house and those that warn them against it. You're going to do what you're going to do but I'm glad people voiced their concerns.

I think that brew space can really benefit from an electric conversion.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?
BridgewaterBrewer Likes This 
Old 12-07-2011, 04:20 PM   #55
pinback
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

you are much farther north, but i know of some insurance companies who freak out at the sight of a chimney, stove or no stove. freak out as in jack the rates up. could just be a gimmick, but quite annoying considering a homeowner that smokes indoors is at equal or great risk for house fire.

its really all about common sense and proper care/maintenance anytime there is fire involved.

newby

Old 12-07-2011, 04:28 PM   #56
BrewerinBR

Recipes 

Bobby M -- I did and I am still considering going electric and may do so when I move to a 10 or 15 gallon setup. Yes some of the previous stud wall were built in a irregular fashion but since they only support drywall it really did not matter. I did add a couple of studs in places for the drywall.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:40 PM   #57
BrewerinBR

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinback View Post
you are much farther north, but i know of some insurance companies who freak out at the sight of a chimney, stove or no stove. freak out as in jack the rates up. could just be a gimmick, but quite annoying considering a homeowner that smokes indoors is at equal or great risk for house fire.

its really all about common sense and proper care/maintenance anytime there is fire involved.
Wood burners in houses, garages, basements and even 45 year old mobile homes are a common sight here. Our daytime highs this time of year barely clear the freezing point and should normally be lower.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #58
JeffBeck
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

There are so many things wrong with that brew room, let me list them.

No
Old Rasputin,
Bigfoot Barley wine,
Torpedo,
Dirty Old Bastard,
Just to name a few from a long list

Nice job!

An Old Rasputin a day keeps the doctor away!

Old 01-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #59
BrewerinBR

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBeck View Post
There are so many things wrong with that brew room, let me list them.

No
Old Rasputin,
Bigfoot Barley wine,
Torpedo,
Dirty Old Bastard,
Just to name a few from a long list

Nice job!
Thanks ... I love it, it is great place to brew and bottle and work. All of my equipment and everything I need in one spot, always clean and neat. Thinking about doing a pictorial essay of brew day and a bottling session.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #60
NateLTB
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 105

What an amazing brew space! You have inspired me to create something like this. Well done!

Quick Reply