Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Basement Brew Area Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #31
jdowling
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I would be really interested to see what you end up with if you use strut to make your stand, where you source parts, and so on.

I was thinking about doing the same for what I'll put together. It'll take me a while to get there though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #32
soccerRef
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by slakwhere View Post
i think you will be MUCH happier with a sculpture than you would be with the stove. it'll be a little more work, but worth it! lots of guys here have their cooler MLT on their sculpture, so you may want to take a look at that, but i can't imagine life as a brewer without a pump now that i have one. especially as an allgrain guy.
When I get to actually designing the sculpture I may or may not add a section to place the cooler MLT on ( will depend on space possibly ... like I said Im doing a single tier regardless, with the idea in the future pump(s) will be added. Using the uni-strut will allow me to build now, and add on pretty much as many sections /stuff as I want. A pump is in my future, but more than likely at least a year out, just having the space and dedicated areas for things will be a huge improvement over the rolling cart in the middle of the kitchen!

I can 100% guarantee a pump will be that thing that once i have I won't be able to remember living with out it! ( like a DVR with my cable!)

One thing I failed to mention previously that is also driving some of this / causing me to hold out on certain parts etc is the fact my parents ( father mainly) is a decent size maple producer, and its actually amazing how much equipment involved in the maple syrup process can be ported over to beer, so there is a positional for some of this equipment to come my way has he grows bigger and bigger... BUT he is already sort of large, so size of things and what not may cause slight major change in how much I brew etc... so I don't want to throw a ton of time/money into a change now, just to make another change in a year/2 etc... so this move really is to just make my current process easier, and out of the kitchen.

Im still looking for some expert advice on the idea to use the cement backer board ( tile stuff) to sheidl heat around the stand? like I said I read it somewhere and am simply looking to see if anyone has done/seen this before?

Old 12-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #33
soccerRef
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

So finally a little headway was made... and I mean little! I have been making measurements, drawing up idea plans, and what not... and looking for materials and what not to get things moving... but that crazy thing called work has seemed to get in the way of actually getting stuff done!

I did however finally get the support "shelf" built into my fridge that will be my kegerator. I currently only have a single keg, with picnic tap for dispensing, and it was sitting in my fridge with the CO2 tank.. but the bottom of the fridge was not level, and I was never a fan of how unbalanced it all sat. I had some wood laying around from other projects, so I built a quick support while I was waiting for bottles to sanitize in the dishwasher.

keg-c02-before.jpg   framecomplete.jpg   framewithboards.jpg   support-installed.jpg   keg-c02-after.jpg  

Old 12-15-2012, 10:42 PM   #34
soccerRef
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

The shelf makes it so much more stable! Its simple supported in the back by the higher part of the fridge bottom.

It will hold 4 corny's with the co2 inside easily, with room to actually run all necessary beer and air lines comfortably. I plan on adding 4 taps to the front of the fridge.

the keg is currently full with HopNog 2012, which will hopefully get bottled from the keg tonight to make room for another brew thats ready to keg carb!

also attached is the cider I bottled up after this project was done. Its a caramel apple cider.

Hopefully soon Ill get my plans more finalized, and get to actually make some progress on the entire build!

carmelcider-bottled.jpg   fridge-starting-pic.jpg  

Old 12-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #35
soccerRef
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Default A little more progress

So I received most of the parts to complete the kegerator piece of the brew/beer area. attached are the pictures of the shanks and faucets. [ these will hopefully be installed later today]

I built a gas manifold, which is also pictured. I built it myself, I did this because it was a few $$ cheaper, but more so because it will be easier to expand in the future. I plan to add regulators to each branch, as well as possible a 5/6 lines to carb beers ( going to stick with 4 taps ), the fridge has space to cram in 5 or 6, but 4 is enough, if I need more I will go to a keezer.

I also received 3 more cornies, so I have a full kegerator! ( once I get some more brew done!!)

imag0162.jpg   imag0161.jpg   imag0160.jpg   imag0159.jpg   imag0158.jpg  

Old 01-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #36
WPStrassburg
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Looks like you finished your manifold, but wanted to make sure you and the other Rochester guys knew about Rochester Store Fixtures.

http://www.rochesterstorefixture.com/images/Page_25.pdf

They've got all the keg stuff you could ever need and some kitchen stuff that I use while brewing. I got my perlicks there when they were cheaper than the chrome faucets like you've got!

Old 01-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #37
reynolds5520
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Thanks Walter, I had forgotten about them.

Quick Reply