New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Basement Brew Area Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 12:06 AM   #21
soccerRef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdowling View Post
Speaking of the original programming... congrats on the go-ahead for the basement build! I look forward to seeing the results.

As a fellow Rochester brewer I can attest to how much it sucks to brew outside in our winters

I brewed one batch inside before I was banished to the unheated garage. Although to be fair the house smelled like boiled cheerios and hops for almost a week so I probably deserved the banishing .
yeah the brew smell def takes a few days to get out of the house! Im sure thats part of the reasoning for so much support to make the basement area!

Im in Irondequoit, where in the great ROC are you located? are you a member of any local rochester brew clubs? I am not yet, but thinking about it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 12:30 AM   #22
jdowling
Recipes 

I'm in the South Wedge. I'm not a member of any local brew clubs but also thinking about it. Seems like there might be at least a couple in our area. Any idea if any of them are active? I know some brewers through work but no one who's a member of any of the clubs. It might be fun!

I recently got approval to upgrade to a 50A electric brewery in the garage (we're getting rid of our old hot tub). Just planning parts & such out now. It's still unheated though .

Old 12-11-2012, 01:48 AM   #23
BeardedIdiot

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerRef View Post
yeah the brew smell def takes a few days to get out of the house! Im sure thats part of the reasoning for so much support to make the basement area!

Im in Irondequoit, where in the great ROC are you located? are you a member of any local rochester brew clubs? I am not yet, but thinking about it.
My wife actually really likes the brew smell. She enjoys the smell of boiling wort and hops (although not quite as much as I do).

Kegged: Galaxy/Vienna SMaSH Pale Ale
Kegged: Prohibition Lager
Kegged: Ricks Red Ale
Kegged: Wheat
Bottled: LH Milk Stout Clone
Primary 1: Biermunchers Centennial Blonde
On Deck: Milk Stout, SNPA clone, maybe a pale ale so I can use my homegrown hops to dry hop.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:11 AM   #24
slakwhere
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

my gf loves the smell of mashing and grain, isn't quite as into the hops.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:58 AM   #25
Strecker25
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

dont have much to offer here but saw all the posts from the fellow rochester guys. Ive begun planning a kal clone for my basement as well, its not even snowing yet and ive had enough with the outdoor brewing. Carrying everything up and down from the basement really blows too...

Old 12-11-2012, 02:59 AM   #26
reynolds5520
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 13

There sure is an active club in Rochester.

UNYHA meeting this week! (Upstate NY Homebrewers Association)

Wednesday at 7 PM

Upstairs at the Merchants Grill - on Merchants by Culver

more info at www.unyha.com

Old 12-11-2012, 03:03 AM   #27
Strecker25
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i should go to that, Im within walking distance to the winfield so not far from merchants grill at all.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #28
soccerRef
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

thanks for the info on the rochester brew club... unfortunately I already have commitments this week pretty much every night ( thats the holiday season right!) but I think i will be checking it out sometime soon, maybe after the first of the year.

as to my build... I think I will concede and make a minor change, and possibly not get the gas stove ( even though I still think it would work alright based on my current stove setup) but I was looking more and more at the weldless brew stands built out of uni-strut, and I like the looks of those, and that would allow me to start small, build out larger as I go, add things like pumps, more brew stations etc ( since its just adding to the frame build with more pieces and the connectors. With this route I would add a NG burner, most likely a 10tip model in a few of the builds here... since thats plenty of power for now.. and I could always plumb in a different burner as I expand. but that brings up more questions that I would like some opinions on...

Im thinking to start with a single tiered stand, with 2 NG burners. I would leave my igloo cooler off the stand for now, and simply place it a few feet away across from the brew stand. I know mooving boiling water is not ideal, but I do it now and it works fine... eventually a pump and I will expand the stand to include the cooler ( and shield it from heat of course)

speaking of heat shielding... I have read somewhere that using cement board ( the stuff you lay under tile floors) is a good heat shield material. I personal have never used, nor done much research on it, ( and I will of course) but figured some here might already know... I was thinking of attaching it around the stand almost boxing in the burners, so heat doesn't get to the back wall, or out in front/sides... I will draw something up and post if anyone with knowledge of this can't picture what im thinking. I of course wouldnt be leaving the brew rig unattended, but it would be nice if things we not getting hot and scorched in the process!

I plan on working tonight on a few drawings of the space and plans, so I can start targeting more what I need to build on the wonderful world of CL!

anyone in the roc area know a location for the cheapest uni-strut HD and Lowes carry it, but possible some one knows a better place?

Old 12-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #29
dfess1
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Maybe check out "Dock Hardware"? You'll find a ton of stuff there that can be repurposed. That's where we (father and I) got most of the stuff for my rig.

My Stumps BBQ Clone Build

Old 12-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #30
slakwhere
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

i think you will be MUCH happier with a sculpture than you would be with the stove. it'll be a little more work, but worth it! lots of guys here have their cooler MLT on their sculpture, so you may want to take a look at that, but i can't imagine life as a brewer without a pump now that i have one. especially as an allgrain guy.

Quick Reply