Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > The "Barney" Brewstand

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default The "Barney" Brewstand

I've been following other brewstand threads on this site, and was envious of the welded stainless stands, something I can't do, as I never learned to weld.

Imaging how happy I was when I stumbled upon the Weldless Brewstand Thread here. Now this is something I'm willing to attempt!!

I've been learning how to solder stainless steel, and was also making an Bottom Drain Insulated Mash Tun, so I jumped in and made a weldless brewstand.

Since everyone seems to name their stands ("Brutus", "Wallace", "Popeye"), I decided to name mine after Homer Simpson's best friend and drinking Buddy.

Without further ado, I give you---"Barney":

Barney is 72" long x 22" wide x 31" tall. These dimensions allowed me to accommodate my two Blichmann Burners on the 24" legs. The burners have been re-jetted for natural gas.

I have a Brewer's Hardware RIMS Tube, an Auber Instruments 2352 PID setup, and four SSR -switched outlets that are controlled by the low-voltage switches mounted up front.

I haven't mounted the pumps yet, as I'm waiting for my Chugger Pumps Stainless Steel Heads.

It's still a work in progress, but I just had to show it off.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
Rivenin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 175 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 97

nicely done!

Coming up Porter
Electric 120v Brutus 20

Old 05-20-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
ron,ar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That looks great, wish I had room for one but I don't and it would rust where I am going to retire at. I see 2 burners, I suppose one is BK and the other is HLT? I assume the one in the middle is a MLT? I have never actually seen one and still use tables and concrete blocks and whatever is handy to set mine up. If you don't mind me asking, how much do you have in the assembled stand alone, not counting the switches, burners etc, just the stand in materials?

Old 05-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron,ar View Post
That looks great, wish I had room for one but I don't and it would rust where I am going to retire at. I see 2 burners, I suppose one is BK and the other is HLT? I assume the one in the middle is a MLT? I have never actually seen one and still use tables and concrete blocks and whatever is handy to set mine up. If you don't mind me asking, how much do you have in the assembled stand alone, not counting the switches, burners etc, just the stand in materials?
Correct, left is HLT, middle is my DIY bottom-drain insulated mash tun, and to the right is the boil keggle. I just got a 40-plate chiller from kegcowboy which I haven't mounted yet.

As to the cost, I haven't been keeping track , but I bought the materials from McMaster, using the materials list from ALEien's Wallace, and upped the angle irons by two each. I also had to get more nuts and bolts.

Anyway, work is progressing. Here's some new pics:

I've ordered a 90 degree 1" TC flange, to attach my Brewer's Hardware Hops / Trub Filter to the BK. And I'm eventually planning to add an Arduino with DS18B20 temp sensors to monitor the temps.

I'm going to try for a test run the Memorial day weekend.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:10 AM   #5
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member

Recipes 

Did 10 Gallons of an English IPA this past weekend, worked great except for one small problem

Old 06-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
ghoti
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

How long is the shelf that holds the pumps?

Quick Reply