*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Barley Mill roller material?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2012, 12:15 AM   #11
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 611 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixs4r View Post
You guys are way to fanatical sometimes. It won't last, it would be a fun project, and when the rollers wear, see if someone like crankenstein will let you purchase some steel ones.
This is along the lines of what I was thinking. Plus, if it's well designed, he could easily swap the rollers at a later date (even if the diameters differ).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 12:35 AM   #12
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 586 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 447

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixs4r View Post
. . . and when the rollers wear, see if someone like crankenstein will let you purchase some steel ones.
It's not about fanaticalism (is that a word ).

It's about being realistic. Practical.

Let's say this guy actually goes to all the trouble and expense of designing and building a mill around some random piece of scrap aluminum he finds in a junk yard. Do you really think in two months when the knurl is gone and he's made several batches of beer with aluminum chip in them, that the center distance and length will allow him to just slap in rollers from a Crankenstein?

He came here looking for practical advice, not a bunch of pom-pom waving, we’re all winners, cheerleaders.

Shouldn't we save the guy some time and aggravation and tell him it's a bad idea?

Yeah, I'm seriously

had to add:

My Barley Crusher is pretty well designed.
Since the (steel) rollers are getting worn may be I should pull out the 1-1/2" one's and try ordering up some 2" one's from Crankenstein. All I have to do is make new end plates. Oh, the side plates are wrong too. And damn the hole in the base is wrong. Crap the shoot won't fit now . . .

Can't really reply to what's below without the wrath of the Mods, but damn (I really want to )

Good night.

Last edited by AnOldUR; 02-08-2012 at 12:41 AM. Reason: i type really slow

Old 02-08-2012, 12:58 AM   #13
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I appreciate the ideas.
My plan is to build a mill around what I can find. This is 6061 aluminum. It has an aggressive enough knurl to grab onto really firm, but not so aggressive that it would tear you skin... make sense?
I think I will learn A LOT from building this mill, even if I just use it for a few brews... I can then take what I learned and properly design a mill in SolidWorks (which I operate daily) and get my machine shop that I work with to make me one out of SS!!! I just want to learn some lessons on "found" materials before junking up a bunch of SS!

Old 02-08-2012, 01:03 AM   #14
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 611 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 54

That sounds like a plan to me. If you don't see it as a waste of time to build a rather disposable mill, and you learn something along the way, then it's a fine project.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:09 AM   #15
Lucky_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I am with Yuri... there have been mills built here and otherwise out of aluminum...

I am working on one built out of an old bale spear, if i didn't have that and had scrap aluminum i would be making it out of that!

Old 02-08-2012, 01:14 AM   #16
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 616 Times on 523 Posts
Likes Given: 166

People also say that you cannot brew good beer using a corona style mill while others have been making GREAT beer with them for many years.

In fact today's batch came out a little high in OG so I guess it doesn't work!

I say give the opinion that it probably will not last as long as steel the let the OP make up his mind on whether it is worth the effort.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:08 AM   #17
Punx Clever
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
It's not about fanaticalism (is that a word ).

It's about being realistic. Practical.

Let's say this guy actually goes to all the trouble and expense of designing and building a mill around some random piece of scrap aluminum he finds in a junk yard. Do you really think in two months when the knurl is gone and he's made several batches of beer with aluminum chip in them, that the center distance and length will allow him to just slap in rollers from a Crankenstein?

He came here looking for practical advice, not a bunch of pom-pom waving, we’re all winners, cheerleaders.

Shouldn't we save the guy some time and aggravation and tell him it's a bad idea?

Yeah, I'm seriously

had to add:

My Barley Crusher is pretty well designed.
Since the (steel) rollers are getting worn may be I should pull out the 1-1/2" one's and try ordering up some 2" one's from Crankenstein. All I have to do is make new end plates. Oh, the side plates are wrong too. And damn the hole in the base is wrong. Crap the shoot won't fit now . . .

Can't really reply to what's below without the wrath of the Mods, but damn (I really want to )

Good night.

I dunno about you, but if I had some aluminum stock that was already knurled, it would take me an afternoon, a six pack, and a decent set of tools to whip out an acceptable grain mill just from the scraps laying around in my garage. It would more than likely be able to accept new rollers, or be easily adapted to them. I see no aggravation, just satisfaction at having had built something (and learned a thing or two) instead of shelling out cash for someone else to do it.

Aluminum chips? God forbid he mash the grains that he mills with it, use said grains to filter the wort (thereby getting rid of the aluminum chips) and perhaps, just perhaps, uses an aluminum kettle. 99 problems...

I suppose we all ought to go out and buy Blinchman kettles cause it'll save us the aggravation of adding to a plain kettle, or modifying a keg.

Hell, while we're at it, lets just go buy beer instead of making it.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:54 AM   #18
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punx Clever View Post
I dunno about you, but if I had some aluminum stock that was already knurled, it would take me an afternoon, a six pack, and a decent set of tools to whip out an acceptable grain mill just from the scraps laying around in my garage. It would more than likely be able to accept new rollers, or be easily adapted to them. I see no aggravation, just satisfaction at having had built something (and learned a thing or two) instead of shelling out cash for someone else to do it.

Aluminum chips? God forbid he mash the grains that he mills with it, use said grains to filter the wort (thereby getting rid of the aluminum chips) and perhaps, just perhaps, uses an aluminum kettle. 99 problems...

I suppose we all ought to go out and buy Blinchman kettles cause it'll save us the aggravation of adding to a plain kettle, or modifying a keg.

Hell, while we're at it, lets just go buy beer instead of making it.
I applaud your satire sir!

Old 02-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #19
jspence1
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco View Post
I appreciate the ideas.
My plan is to build a mill around what I can find. This is 6061 aluminum. It has an aggressive enough knurl to grab onto really firm, but not so aggressive that it would tear you skin... make sense?
I think I will learn A LOT from building this mill, even if I just use it for a few brews... I can then take what I learned and properly design a mill in SolidWorks (which I operate daily) and get my machine shop that I work with to make me one out of SS!!! I just want to learn some lessons on "found" materials before junking up a bunch of SS!
This project is full of win! Do it I would expect a few years of good service out of your new mill. Just remember to make up some steel rollers to replace them with before you quit the job I wish I had gotten into brewing before ending my days as a tool maker. All the materials and equipment I thought were useless to me before now hold a huge value.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:40 PM   #20
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Huaco,

I was farting around on Crankensteins website and stumbled upon this:

http://www.crankandstein.net/index.p...=index&cPath=8

Perhaps email him and ask him the dimensions of his rollers, that way if yours do wear out you can simply swap them with some SS ones?

Just a thought...

Quick Reply