*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Barley Mill roller material?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2012, 12:15 AM   #11
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yuri_Rage's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Southwest
Posts: 13,927
Liked 611 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixs4r View Post
You guys are way to fanatical sometimes. It won't last, it would be a fun project, and when the rollers wear, see if someone like crankenstein will let you purchase some steel ones.
This is along the lines of what I was thinking. Plus, if it's well designed, he could easily swap the rollers at a later date (even if the diameters differ).
__________________
Homebrewed Blog..........YouTube Channel .......... Shirts, posters, etc
Yuri_Rage is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 12:35 AM   #12
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
AnOldUR's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 6,230
Liked 586 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 447

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixs4r View Post
. . . and when the rollers wear, see if someone like crankenstein will let you purchase some steel ones.
It's not about fanaticalism (is that a word ).

It's about being realistic. Practical.

Let's say this guy actually goes to all the trouble and expense of designing and building a mill around some random piece of scrap aluminum he finds in a junk yard. Do you really think in two months when the knurl is gone and he's made several batches of beer with aluminum chip in them, that the center distance and length will allow him to just slap in rollers from a Crankenstein?

He came here looking for practical advice, not a bunch of pom-pom waving, we’re all winners, cheerleaders.

Shouldn't we save the guy some time and aggravation and tell him it's a bad idea?



Yeah, I'm seriously








had to add:

My Barley Crusher is pretty well designed.
Since the (steel) rollers are getting worn may be I should pull out the 1-1/2" one's and try ordering up some 2" one's from Crankenstein. All I have to do is make new end plates. Oh, the side plates are wrong too. And damn the hole in the base is wrong. Crap the shoot won't fit now . . .




Can't really reply to what's below without the wrath of the Mods, but damn (I really want to )

Good night.
__________________
Sent from my POS computer because I refuse to own a smartphone!

Last edited by AnOldUR; 02-08-2012 at 12:41 AM. Reason: i type really slow
AnOldUR is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 12:58 AM   #13
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Huaco's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Just south of Cow Town, Tx
Posts: 1,221
Liked 111 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default

I appreciate the ideas.
My plan is to build a mill around what I can find. This is 6061 aluminum. It has an aggressive enough knurl to grab onto really firm, but not so aggressive that it would tear you skin... make sense?
I think I will learn A LOT from building this mill, even if I just use it for a few brews... I can then take what I learned and properly design a mill in SolidWorks (which I operate daily) and get my machine shop that I work with to make me one out of SS!!! I just want to learn some lessons on "found" materials before junking up a bunch of SS!

__________________
Huaco is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 01:03 AM   #14
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yuri_Rage's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Southwest
Posts: 13,927
Liked 611 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Default

That sounds like a plan to me. If you don't see it as a waste of time to build a rather disposable mill, and you learn something along the way, then it's a fine project.

__________________
Homebrewed Blog..........YouTube Channel .......... Shirts, posters, etc
Yuri_Rage is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 01:09 AM   #15
Lucky_Chicken
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bloomfield, IA
Posts: 791
Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

I am with Yuri... there have been mills built here and otherwise out of aluminum...

I am working on one built out of an old bale spear, if i didn't have that and had scrap aluminum i would be making it out of that!

Lucky_Chicken is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 01:14 AM   #16
kh54s10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tiverton, Rhode Island
Posts: 6,773
Liked 616 Times on 523 Posts
Likes Given: 166

Default

People also say that you cannot brew good beer using a corona style mill while others have been making GREAT beer with them for many years.

In fact today's batch came out a little high in OG so I guess it doesn't work!

I say give the opinion that it probably will not last as long as steel the let the OP make up his mind on whether it is worth the effort.

__________________
kh54s10 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 02:08 AM   #17
Punx Clever
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 208
Liked 37 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
It's not about fanaticalism (is that a word ).

It's about being realistic. Practical.

Let's say this guy actually goes to all the trouble and expense of designing and building a mill around some random piece of scrap aluminum he finds in a junk yard. Do you really think in two months when the knurl is gone and he's made several batches of beer with aluminum chip in them, that the center distance and length will allow him to just slap in rollers from a Crankenstein?

He came here looking for practical advice, not a bunch of pom-pom waving, we’re all winners, cheerleaders.

Shouldn't we save the guy some time and aggravation and tell him it's a bad idea?



Yeah, I'm seriously








had to add:

My Barley Crusher is pretty well designed.
Since the (steel) rollers are getting worn may be I should pull out the 1-1/2" one's and try ordering up some 2" one's from Crankenstein. All I have to do is make new end plates. Oh, the side plates are wrong too. And damn the hole in the base is wrong. Crap the shoot won't fit now . . .




Can't really reply to what's below without the wrath of the Mods, but damn (I really want to )

Good night.

I dunno about you, but if I had some aluminum stock that was already knurled, it would take me an afternoon, a six pack, and a decent set of tools to whip out an acceptable grain mill just from the scraps laying around in my garage. It would more than likely be able to accept new rollers, or be easily adapted to them. I see no aggravation, just satisfaction at having had built something (and learned a thing or two) instead of shelling out cash for someone else to do it.

Aluminum chips? God forbid he mash the grains that he mills with it, use said grains to filter the wort (thereby getting rid of the aluminum chips) and perhaps, just perhaps, uses an aluminum kettle. 99 problems...

I suppose we all ought to go out and buy Blinchman kettles cause it'll save us the aggravation of adding to a plain kettle, or modifying a keg.

Hell, while we're at it, lets just go buy beer instead of making it.
__________________
https://www.facebook.com/pages/SandS...58484890875451
Punx Clever is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 02:54 AM   #18
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Huaco's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Just south of Cow Town, Tx
Posts: 1,221
Liked 111 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punx Clever View Post
I dunno about you, but if I had some aluminum stock that was already knurled, it would take me an afternoon, a six pack, and a decent set of tools to whip out an acceptable grain mill just from the scraps laying around in my garage. It would more than likely be able to accept new rollers, or be easily adapted to them. I see no aggravation, just satisfaction at having had built something (and learned a thing or two) instead of shelling out cash for someone else to do it.

Aluminum chips? God forbid he mash the grains that he mills with it, use said grains to filter the wort (thereby getting rid of the aluminum chips) and perhaps, just perhaps, uses an aluminum kettle. 99 problems...

I suppose we all ought to go out and buy Blinchman kettles cause it'll save us the aggravation of adding to a plain kettle, or modifying a keg.

Hell, while we're at it, lets just go buy beer instead of making it.
I applaud your satire sir!
__________________
Huaco is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #19
jspence1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 1,055
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco View Post
I appreciate the ideas.
My plan is to build a mill around what I can find. This is 6061 aluminum. It has an aggressive enough knurl to grab onto really firm, but not so aggressive that it would tear you skin... make sense?
I think I will learn A LOT from building this mill, even if I just use it for a few brews... I can then take what I learned and properly design a mill in SolidWorks (which I operate daily) and get my machine shop that I work with to make me one out of SS!!! I just want to learn some lessons on "found" materials before junking up a bunch of SS!
This project is full of win! Do it I would expect a few years of good service out of your new mill. Just remember to make up some steel rollers to replace them with before you quit the job I wish I had gotten into brewing before ending my days as a tool maker. All the materials and equipment I thought were useless to me before now hold a huge value.
__________________
jspence1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2012, 02:40 PM   #20
phoenixs4r
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hayward, California
Posts: 1,506
Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default

Huaco,

I was farting around on Crankensteins website and stumbled upon this:

http://www.crankandstein.net/index.p...=index&cPath=8

Perhaps email him and ask him the dimensions of his rollers, that way if yours do wear out you can simply swap them with some SS ones?

Just a thought...

__________________
phoenixs4r is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my concrete/steel 3 roller mill martinworswick DIY Projects 3 01-14-2011 04:41 AM
Grain mill roller question jim_reaper1066 DIY Projects 20 03-31-2010 05:46 PM
3 roller mill VS 2 roller mill Yavid DIY Projects 9 01-25-2010 03:22 AM
Grain mill roller diameter? fifelee DIY Projects 9 12-16-2009 02:58 AM
Adjustable Roller Mill - $15 and 2 Hours PintOfBitter DIY Projects 12 03-02-2009 06:52 PM