Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Bare Bones Stirplate

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2008, 07:07 PM   #41
BeerAg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey Seabee, what is the doohicky in your double barrel that has the yellow switches?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2008, 01:38 AM   #42
Seabee John
Swing the BIG hammer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerAg
Hey Seabee, what is the doohicky in your double barrel that has the yellow switches?
Believe it or not, like the train transformer, it's another throwback from my model railroading days. It's just a simple track switch controller. bout 3 bucks in any RR hobby store. there are just three switches on a board. I use two of them, one for each fan. works like a charm.
Mom was right. Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Where's my beer. I know I left it around here somewhere.....
Kegged/Drinking:Nihilistic Integrity - Black IPA, #1 BIAB pale ale, Bells Two Hearted - yes a keg of the real stuff
Kegged/Conditioning:Wally N Seans Braggot, Emerald Eyes - Irish Red, Atomic Tsunami - brown
Primary:empty

Old 06-29-2008, 07:02 PM   #43
jameswardpeterson
Recipes 

what would work great for this is an old cell phone or mobile something charger or any other wall socket transformer (found on some lamps, clocks, chargers, ALOT of things) Just cut off the adapter at the end so you have bare wires. alternatively you could just rip out the power supply from the back of an old pc and just hook that straight into the fan, seeing that the fan and power supply were actually made to work together. what is also useful is a fan controller unit. they sell them pretty cheap at computer mod places, I have 2 inside my compy for slowing down fans so their not too loud. the control range you can get on them is pretty good.

on deck: future brews suspended for the moment :(...

Old 10-21-2008, 09:06 PM   #44
Mirage
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know this thread is old, but this whole thing got me thinking. Could you use an old computer powersupply and hook it up to an controllable computer fan? Or just hook a fan up to your computer and use that? That may be a really cheap method as most everyone has a computer... Just a thought.

On Tap: Heavenly Scourge Black IPA and Beecave Heffe
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Next: Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale and Pliny the Elder Clone

Old 10-21-2008, 10:58 PM   #45
Seabee John
Swing the BIG hammer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
I know this thread is old, but this whole thing got me thinking. Could you use an old computer powersupply and hook it up to an controllable computer fan? Or just hook a fan up to your computer and use that? That may be a really cheap method as most everyone has a computer... Just a thought.
Sure you could use a power supply... it just transforms the voltage from ac to dc and a rheostat will control the fan speed. That speed control is the important part.

good luck
Mom was right. Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Kegged/Drinking:Nihilistic Integrity - Black IPA, #1 BIAB pale ale, Bells Two Hearted - yes a keg of the real stuff
Kegged/Conditioning:Wally N Seans Braggot, Emerald Eyes - Irish Red, Atomic Tsunami - brown

Old 11-02-2008, 05:18 PM   #46
bmckee56
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

So I am new to all of this and have to ask the NOOB question! What are you using the stir plate for? I work in a Bio-Medical Science Building and see lots of these devices made for the "Labbies" here.

If it is something I can make use of, I know I can get one or two as surplus cause many of the labs are re-locating to another building and they have loads of stuff they are not moving.

Thanks for any info.

Salute!

On Tap #1 - East End Brew
On Tap #2 - Nada
On Tap #3 - Nuttin-Honey Ale
Fermenting - BMB's Cascading Citra Ale

Old 11-02-2008, 11:26 PM   #47
Seabee John
Swing the BIG hammer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmckee56 View Post
So I am new to all of this and have to ask the NOOB question! What are you using the stir plate for? I work in a Bio-Medical Science Building and see lots of these devices made for the "Labbies" here.

If it is something I can make use of, I know I can get one or two as surplus cause many of the labs are re-locating to another building and they have loads of stuff they are not moving.

Thanks for any info.

Salute!
We use the stir plate for culturing yeast to ferment the beer. Some people need large cultures for the style and type of beer they brew, or like me, I re-use the yeast I brew with by washing it, and then storing smaller amounts for later use. If I'm going to brew on Saturday, I'll begin a starter on Wednesday or Thursday depending on how much yeast I need to pitch. The stir plate helps keep oxygen in the solution so the yeast are at the height of viability when it comes to pitching time. I also enjoy knowing that I've got the right abount of yeast to do the job... not too little, not too much.

You can figure this out by using the pitching calculator at Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator

good luck!

Old 11-04-2008, 02:08 PM   #48
bmckee56
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

John: I appreciate your response to my question. I understand more now.

Salute!

On Tap #1 - East End Brew
On Tap #2 - Nada
On Tap #3 - Nuttin-Honey Ale
Fermenting - BMB's Cascading Citra Ale

Old 11-23-2008, 12:48 AM   #49
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Function before beauty, what's a pretty stir plate box if the unit doesn't work properly. Details can follow later if a box is needed. A lot better than throwing big money at a lab stir plate unless you got it cheap, I never could. Oh by the way that Mr. Malty Pitching Calculator is in my file and a great tool to use, thanks for posting it.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Last edited by BrewBeemer; 11-23-2008 at 12:50 AM.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:55 PM   #50
Yunus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I havent read every post here but I made a stir plate in the DIY fashion. The magnets I used were kidney shaped ones out of a Hard drive. Very powerful. I found that putting 1 magnet in the center of the fan worked but I have yet to get it working with 2 magnets. Just an FYI for anyone having trouble. Also I use a very small stir bar, about 1/2". It can make a funnel in 2l of water though.

Quick Reply