Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Bare Bones Stirplate

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2007, 07:35 PM   #11
Seabee John
Swing the BIG hammer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Am I insane, or would something like this work, and let you have a variable-speed control on your stirplate?

If so, anyone got an old computer fan and some magnets they'd trade for some homebrew?
That's it... should work fine. I found that my fan will only run with one polarity... (forward / reverse switch has to be in forward) And just make sure you hook up your fan wires to the DC side of the transformer.
Mom was right. Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Where's my beer. I know I left it around here somewhere.....
Kegged/Drinking:Nihilistic Integrity - Black IPA, #1 BIAB pale ale, Bells Two Hearted - yes a keg of the real stuff
Kegged/Conditioning:Wally N Seans Braggot, Emerald Eyes - Irish Red, Atomic Tsunami - brown
Primary:empty

Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2007, 08:35 PM   #12
dantodd

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

looks nice, only thing I'd be worried about is gettin' the fan wet. I think I'd still invest in a project box for water/wort protection.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:56 PM   #13
trainfever
Recipes 

Just a little bit of safety warning. Make sue that whatever transformer/powerpack you use is a DC powerpack. Normally a DC transformer is called a powerpack and an AC transformer is called just that, a transformer. A powerpack has a transformer in it but it also has a rectifier which turns the AC into DC. Those computer fans are DC powered and AC current will burn out the motors. A DC powerpack has a variable controlled DC circuit while the accessorie circuit is AC. Some of you may have some old Lionel or Amerocan Flyer transformers, these willl not operate the fans without a rectifier in the circuit. So if any of you plan on building one of these and are going to buy a power supply, make sue it is a DC power supply, better known as a powerpack.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:02 PM   #14
Seabee John
Swing the BIG hammer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainfever
Just a little bit of safety warning. Make sue that whatever transformer/powerpack you use is a DC powerpack. Normally a DC transformer is called a powerpack and an AC transformer is called just that, a transformer. A powerpack has a transformer in it but it also has a rectifier which turns the AC into DC. Those computer fans are DC powered and AC current will burn out the motors. A DC powerpack has a variable controlled DC circuit while the accessorie circuit is AC. Some of you may have some old Lionel or Amerocan Flyer transformers, these willl not operate the fans without a rectifier in the circuit. So if any of you plan on building one of these and are going to buy a power supply, make sue it is a DC power supply, better known as a powerpack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabee John
And just make sure you hook up your fan wires to the DC side of the transformer.
If it's got a DC side you should be fine.
Mom was right. Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Kegged/Drinking:Nihilistic Integrity - Black IPA, #1 BIAB pale ale, Bells Two Hearted - yes a keg of the real stuff
Kegged/Conditioning:Wally N Seans Braggot, Emerald Eyes - Irish Red, Atomic Tsunami - brown

Old 10-28-2007, 10:52 PM   #15
eddie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

How large of a starter have you done using this set-up?

Old 10-28-2007, 11:09 PM   #16
Seabee John
Swing the BIG hammer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie
How large of a starter have you done using this set-up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabee John
Since I went cheap on everything else, I figured why stop there: I used a wide mouth glass bottle (1 pint / 473 ml) as my beaker. It may not be able to produce a batch as large as the 1000 ml beaker, but it gets the job done. It also accepts the airlock stopper just fine.
I'm sure you could run with a 1000 ml beaker without any problems.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:56 AM   #17
eddie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I was just curious if you had tried with anything larger yet. I looks interesting and very affordable to build. I plan on trying this in the near future.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:53 AM   #18
Grimsawyer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

What kind of glues will work to stick the magnets to the fan anyways? And should the magnets be glued to the center of the fan or on the fins?(I am assuming the center though I am wrong alot. =P) And could I walk into Radioshack and just buy any powerpack or do just certain ones have a "variable controlled DC circuit "?

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Dean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

Old 10-29-2007, 02:19 PM   #19
Seabee John
Swing the BIG hammer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimsawyer
What kind of glues will work to stick the magnets to the fan anyways? And should the magnets be glued to the center of the fan or on the fins?(I am assuming the center though I am wrong alot. =P) And could I walk into Radioshack and just buy any powerpack or do just certain ones have a "variable controlled DC circuit "?
You can find a hot glue gun at the depot (or if your cheap like me, I just used a hot glue stick with a bic lighter.

Glue them in the center - this is important. If you are off center with your magnets, it will cause a vibration or even worse it will constantly "throw" the stir bar.

Here's the deal on the DC "power pack." Much has changed since I had model trains. These days they power the track with a constant DC voltage and send a digital signal to the microchip in the train on the track. When I was into it, each track had it's own separate power source. The rheostat controlled how fast the train went. That is the style of power pack you want. They should be incredibly cheap. Talk to a guy at a hobby shop. I doubt radio shack would have them...seems like all they carry is cell phone crap.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:30 PM   #20
ejdischer

Recipes 

I'm interested in building one of these. Couldn't I just mount the fan to the inside of this: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062284 and put the beaker on top of the box???

What needs to be understood here is that I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to the science of electronics.

Also, if you don't have a hard drive to spare, where do you get the magnets???

Secondary 2: Empty
On Deck: Neutral Zone Trappist (Belgian Tripel)
Waiting in the Bottle: Imperial Oatmeal Stout
Drinking: Honey Chocolate Weizen (First Brew)

Quick Reply