Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Bar Top Finish? Is Epoxy Actually Good?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
YankeesHomeBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Default Bar Top Finish? Is Epoxy Actually Good?

893747_10200244246582262_129396462_o.jpg

Bar is almost ready to be finished! Just need the arm rail to be delivered and installed.

My question is what finish to use on the bar top? I always planned on doing an epoxy finish, but I've been reading that it doesn't hold up very well. Is this true? And if I do epoxy the bar top, should I just poly the arm rail? I don't know how the epoxy will stay on the arm rail contour as it self levels...

I want it to be very glossy, and love the idea of epoxy since it is one and done... are there other options for a high gloss finish that is made for bar tops or table tops without having to do a bunch of coats?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
CykoAGR
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

I will let others comment on the actual question but that is a sweet setup. Nicely done!!

Old 03-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
ChugachBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 84 Posts

I'll add that I'm curious where you obtain this kind of epoxy that is not marine grade or what not. Been on the lookout for some 2 part without having to buy through west system or system 3. let me know where you get it from.

I'd go with the epoxy, then put some polyurathtane (spelling?) on top for a shine.

Check out my new blog brouwerijchuchach for information on fermenting beer, baking bread, pizza, and other experiments.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
acidrain
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 25

You can get self leveling epoxy at most "real" lumber stores. HD and Lowes carry some, but I've never used those.
I would epoxy the flat surface, and urethane the rails.

Keg #1: RHESB 6.2
Keg #2: Cascadian Stout
Keg #3: BMC West
Fermenter #1 Bourbon/Oak Vanilla Porter
Bottled: Mjolnir Mead, Lazy Daze Hefe, The Bollocks ESB, Dark Matter stout.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:49 PM   #5
YankeesHomeBrew
Recipes 

Thanks Cyko, I plan on posting a bunch of pictures from the entire project once everything is finished

Lowes carries the epoxy, I'm just now worried about how it will last after a little bit of research today. Anyone have expoxy on their bartop? I'm curious as to how it is with water also; I don't want "rings" from pint glasses being put on the bar without a coaster...

Old 03-13-2013, 08:56 PM   #6
NoKatoBrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts

Built a pennytop bar last autumn and finished with a self leveling epoxy/resin from Lowes. We don't have any moisture rings and it's used frequently. Only blemishes are a few scratches and I'm cool with it showing it's utility!

image-2454265487.jpg   image-697371707.jpg  
Old 03-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #7
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

We did an epoxy bar a couple years ago, coated the bar top in decorative copper, lacquered it, then did the epoxy pour. It was scary, one shot is all you get, but it came out amazing. Get tons of compliments. Used this copper, second one on this page. http://www.colorcopper.com/pages/Copper-Bar-Top.html it's the Stellar design. This is not my bar but looks just like this.

Cost more than granite but is nice. Does NOT do well with heat though. If you set a hot pot on it from the stove would melt the epoxy. And it scratches pretty easy.

image-114755733.jpg

On tap: Turbo DIPA, Naked American Wheat, Sightless Swine IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Caramel Apple Cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."
Subsailor Likes This 
Old 03-13-2013, 09:09 PM   #8
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2xu
We did an epoxy bar a couple years ago, coated the bar top in decorative copper, lacquered it, then did the epoxy pour. It was scary, one shot is all you get, but it came out amazing. Get tons of compliments. Used this copper, second one on this page. http://www.colorcopper.com/pages/Copper-Bar-Top.html it's the Stellar design. This is not my bar but looks just like this.

Cost more than granite but is nice. Does NOT do well with heat though. If you set a hot pot on it from the stove would melt the epoxy. And it scratches pretty easy.
Also we used the laquer and epoxy from this site.
On tap: Turbo DIPA, Naked American Wheat, Sightless Swine IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Caramel Apple Cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Old 03-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #9
debo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

My goodness that is going to be a sexy bar setup when you're finished!

I don't have any epoxy suggestions - I just wanted to praise your work...haha

Old 03-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #10
YankeesHomeBrew
Recipes 

bd2xu, did you pour the epoxy on the arm rail? I'm not sure if I sould put the epoxy on the arm rail or not...

Quick Reply