Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Bar Rebuild

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2011, 04:29 AM   #11
rustbucket
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

man i wish i had those days back sometimes... but i would redesign everything.. first i would redo the bar with something that would last for a long time (bottle top bar with epoxy over it all? maybe some blue led's in it to highlight it all) then under counter freezer to support kegs and towers, backed by maybe glass fridge with bottle racks. red brick walls or something that would cover nicely.. over the already bricked (granite color, maybe follow old cathedral colors)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2011, 05:47 AM   #12
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 37

x2 on the stripper pole

-=jason=-

Old 02-05-2011, 06:40 AM   #13
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flomaster View Post
x2 on the stripper pole

-=jason=-
You mean two stripper poles correct?
I would go rustic being it's not going to last for years, smash bang move on
unless your a professional student.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:44 PM   #14
dannedry
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

+1 on the DUAL STRIPPER POLES... I'm seeing a "Strip Off" in your frat's future... haha!

Old 02-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #15
TheBroonery
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That's pretty sweet, what Fraternity by the way? I'm a professional handyman and can probably answer a lot of questions you may come across. I'd do like someone else mentioned and paint, paint, paint - especially that nasty wall behind the chest freezer. You'd be amazed what fresh paint can do. Also that sink looks like it's going to get torn off during a party and flood the place. How does the drain go into the floor? Maybe you could move it to that space between the freezer and the bar or or something so it's a little less precarious.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #16
TheBroonery
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Also, get that keg of "Anheuser" out of there!

Old 02-06-2011, 04:11 PM   #17
GarrettMD
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBroonery View Post
That's pretty sweet, what Fraternity by the way? I'm a professional handyman and can probably answer a lot of questions you may come across. I'd do like someone else mentioned and paint, paint, paint - especially that nasty wall behind the chest freezer. You'd be amazed what fresh paint can do. Also that sink looks like it's going to get torn off during a party and flood the place. How does the drain go into the floor? Maybe you could move it to that space between the freezer and the bar or or something so it's a little less precarious.

Also, get that keg of "Anheuser" out of there!
We're not entirely sure where the drain goes for that sink. Most of us are convinced they just drilled through the foundation and have it drain straight into the ground. Though, I don't think we will be getting rid of it, just because the plan is to build a lower bar to mount the taps, that the bartenders can work on, and that the sink can be built into, so it's not just hanging there attached to a piece of wood jutting out from the bar.

The keg is disassembled and being cleaned to use as a half barrel fermenter, hence the rubber stopper. We will be brewing our own party beer for parties rather than buying kegs of it, risk management issue involving insurance. So we will be using 2 of those kegs to brew 1 bbl batches of "fizzy yellow beer".

Also, do you think just painting the walls behind the bar would be better than bricking it over? I was thinking of trying for a look similar to this. At least as far as the contrast from the wood faced bar and the brick walls goes.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #18
Boy
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

If you have extra brick lying around I say go for it. It will give it the good look of old basement bars you see in older cities/speak easies. I definitely think the infinity mirror bar top will look horribly out of place. Maybe just hand make a brand new bar top yourself out of wood the same as how cutting boards are done and then distress it a little before staining and sealing. I've mentioned this before but as a bartender one of the biggest things I would love to see is the entire below bar working counter done with high density plastic cutting board material. Easy to clean up, you can cut fruit on it, damn near indestructible, and it's cheaper than SS. Just some humble opinions. Good Luck

Old 02-06-2011, 08:03 PM   #19
GarrettMD
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy View Post
If you have extra brick lying around I say go for it. It will give it the good look of old basement bars you see in older cities/speak easies. I definitely think the infinity mirror bar top will look horribly out of place. Maybe just hand make a brand new bar top yourself out of wood the same as how cutting boards are done and then distress it a little before staining and sealing. I've mentioned this before but as a bartender one of the biggest things I would love to see is the entire below bar working counter done with high density plastic cutting board material. Easy to clean up, you can cut fruit on it, damn near indestructible, and it's cheaper than SS. Just some humble opinions. Good Luck
Definitely plan on doing the working counter out of some high density plastic. The rest of the house still wants the infinity mirror, so I'm still searching for a way to make that work.

For now, here's a CADed proposed model for what it would look like.

Here's a view of the bar from the back. The 6 cabinet doors that are shown will be sliding doors.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:55 AM   #20
scotched
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Your alumnus are generous for helping you actives/associates out.

That little "urinal" is probably useful in catching freshman yak.

Whatever you choose to build I would go for quality/strength over aesthetics. It's not uncommon to your house damaged with holes in the wall after a good night.

Quick Reply