New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Bar Finishing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 02:26 PM   #1
SHF
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Bar Finishing

I am in the process of finishing the basement and will be building a bar for down there this weekend. Looking at the various finishing products, I think I am going to use the Behlen's Rock Hard Table Top Varnish for the bar top. Has anyone used this? Or does anyone have good experience with a different product they would recommend? The top will be Oak Ply with an oak bar rail.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2009, 03:35 PM   #2
chainsawbrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 8

i haven't used that, but i did use envirotex lite, it's a two part polymer, and it is great. it pours out like molasses, and spreads nicely, and hardens to plastic. i covered my bar top in bottlecaps, and used the envirotex lite over the caps, and it looks really good.
check out my build here. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-bar-build-tracking-my-progress-here-121928/

the "finished" photos are on towards the last pages of the thread.

my bar build

Old 08-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
rbarr110
Recipes 

+1 for epoxy on bar tops.

I was going to use the envirotex lite but found a comparable product locally that they mis-quoted me a price that was cheaper than the envirotex. They realized they screwed up but still honored the quoted price.
The product I used is called "Orca 1100 UV Stable" epoxy from Fiberlay but i dont think it is on their website yet.

Damn, that reminds me I need to update pics for my bar build.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/bar-finally-under-construction-100022/

Old 08-18-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
SHF
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

rbarr110 - are you using it over something like chainsaw did? I am not really looking to do that (though we did consider it for a bunch of coasters we have) so probably would need only enough for 1/16th inch layer or something probably I would guess? Can a bar rail/chicago rail whatever be covered with this? Wouldn't it just run off the edge?

Old 08-18-2009, 06:58 PM   #5
chainsawbrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 8

ive seen it used over bare wood, tile, etc. you just have to use it in quantities that you want to achieve your desired thickness. also you can build/trim a "dam" around it, or you can simply let it drip/run over the edge of your top, or use duct tape to form a bit of an edge to it. it's pretty versatile, and works wonders in an array of applications.

my bar build

Old 08-18-2009, 10:05 PM   #6
rbarr110
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHF View Post
rbarr110 - are you using it over something like chainsaw did? I am not really looking to do that (though we did consider it for a bunch of coasters we have) so probably would need only enough for 1/16th inch layer or something probably I would guess? Can a bar rail/chicago rail whatever be covered with this? Wouldn't it just run off the edge?
I used it over some ceramic tiles. I put it 1/8" thick and yes let it run over the edges of my wood trim that was used as a dam. I filled it and let it run over the edge, but had a defined area masked off with the blue painters tape and during the intial hour of curing used a poly brush to clean up the drips. When the dripping stopped, I removed the tape before the epoxy totally set up.

You can use the epoxy like a varnish, brush it on thick and it self levels and you get a mirror like finish thats equal to 6 plus coats of varnish. If you do it like a varnish, practice on some "finished" scrap to get an idea how it finishes out. There are tons of youtube like videos that show how-to's for finishing wood table tops.

EDIT: I actually have to do another 1/16" flood coat since my bar is "L" shaped, I couldnt get the all surfaces completely level, so where some of the epoxy flowed over, it ended up slightly short of flowing over in spots, so I need to re-level in another direction and flood coat the whole top again to get it to my anal retentive standards.

Last edited by rbarr110; 08-18-2009 at 10:08 PM.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:10 PM   #7
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I used Parks Super Glaze on mine, but it's the same kinda stuff, a two part epoxy that pours on really thick. I used some painters tape to line the edge of the bar and spread it on. Works like a charm and the tape comes right off as long as you remove it before its fully cured.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Quick Reply