*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Bar Build/Basement overhaul... Progress tracker

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2010, 02:57 PM   #11
HalfPint
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruelkix View Post
The more I think about it the more I really need to have someway of getting it out that isntoverly destructive/hard. I think you are right, I should leave one of the panels slightly "removable" and give myself a way to slide it out if need be....... I'll take some pics of whatever I accomplish tonight.
perhaps attach some 2x4's to the back of the keezer to which you could screw the outside of the bar onto. With that said, you would also have to move the rest of the bar out 2", but you would be able to get your keezer out if the case should arise when it needs to be replaced or fixed. Also, with this 2" tolerance from the 2x4's, if the keezer needed to be replaced, you could use one that was a bit bigger or smaller.

Just a thought, but really nice work man.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2010, 03:06 PM   #12
cruelkix
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPint View Post
perhaps attach some 2x4's to the back of the keezer to which you could screw the outside of the bar onto. With that said, you would also have to move the rest of the bar out 2", but you would be able to get your keezer out if the case should arise when it needs to be replaced or fixed. Also, with this 2" tolerance from the 2x4's, if the keezer needed to be replaced, you could use one that was a bit bigger or smaller.

Just a thought, but really nice work man.
Yeah I mean that is kinda the current plan. I was going to make a 2x4 frame and then attach teh nice wood to the 2x4s. I think if I set attach the 2x4s properly I can give myself a way to pull the freezer out. I do a lot better with designing stuff when I stare at it......

The hard part is attaching the nice wood to the 2x4s from the inside of the bar so that teh screws and stuff arent showing on the outside when you look at it. I think that alone means I need to have the freezer removable to some extent.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:18 AM   #13
HalfPint
Recipes 

Quote:
The hard part is attaching the nice wood to the 2x4s from the inside of the bar so that teh screws and stuff arent showing on the outside when you look at it. I think that alone means I need to have the freezer removable to some extent.
You could use wooden hole plugs like this http://www.coolpierce.com/wood-plug-oew047-p-32.html on the part of the bar that needs to be removable. I'm sure only you would even notice they were there. As far as the rest of the bar goes, you can just screw from the back of the 2x4's where you'd never have any holes on the front.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:18 AM   #14
cruelkix
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPint View Post
You could use wooden hole plugs like this http://www.coolpierce.com/wood-plug-oew047-p-32.html on the part of the bar that needs to be removable. I'm sure only you would even notice they were there. As far as the rest of the bar goes, you can just screw from the back of the 2x4's where you'd never have any holes on the front.
We are on the same wave length my friend. That's what i decided on doing. I made some decent progress tonight. I'll take some pics and show you what I came up with in the morning.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:02 PM   #15
HalfPint
Recipes 

Quote:
We are on the same wave length my friend. That's what i decided on doing. I made some decent progress tonight. I'll take some pics and show you what I came up with in the morning.
Awesome man. Good luck and I look forward to some pics!

Old 08-14-2010, 05:45 PM   #16
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Hey man, this looks real good! I like how the bar really looks like it fits perfectly in that area. Like it was meant to be.

I had a similar issue with worrying about getting the fridge (freezer) out in the event that it goes dead or needs replacing. I didnt have such a good plan, and I know if that day comes, a sawzall will most likely be necessary. Just some encouragement for you to make sure you have an action plan. I definitely worry about pulling that warm pint one day, it freaks me out a bit (although I have dorm fridge coldbox extension, you have a keezer. Don't want to jinx ya but I think I have more efficiency problems to worry about than you).

Enough bad talk, keep up the good work!

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 08-14-2010, 11:55 PM   #17
cruelkix
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpr121 View Post
Hey man, this looks real good! I like how the bar really looks like it fits perfectly in that area. Like it was meant to be.

I had a similar issue with worrying about getting the fridge (freezer) out in the event that it goes dead or needs replacing.
Thanks! So here is how I plan on getting the freezer out if the time comes:

Front view of progress I made Friday night before we went out (not much time...)

Here is a pic of the back:

So what i Did was turn the 2x4 90 degrees so that the whole fridge can slide out. I accomplished this by using a Pocket Hole jig. I will still be throwing a few cross beams across the back, but using the pocket jig so that they can be easily removed if the time comes. The "Nice wood" will then be mounted to all the 2x4s from there. Its going to be hard to hide the connectors using wood plugs and such, but its on the side of the bar that not that many people or going to sit at/see.

Also, HURRAY my piano hinge came in!! That is how the bar is going to lift up to allow access to the freezer. More pics on that to follow.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:00 AM   #18
cruelkix
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpr121 View Post
I just read through your bar build man. Nice work! Looks good!! I see what you are talking about with the no exit strategy.... Fingers crossed it never happens to either of us.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:13 AM   #19
HalfPint
Recipes 

Looks goood dude. Look forward to seeing more.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:10 AM   #20
dgooden
Recipes 

Looking good, glad you figured out a way to get the freezer out if needed. Keep at it, and keep posting pics!

Quick Reply