Ball valves on inlets of the keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TsunamiBeer

Reaction score
I have been looking at a bunch of the single tier brew stands as I am building my own. I notice some have ball valves at the top of the keggles on the inlet. What is the purpose of these? I would assume that you don't want to create pressure on the silicone hoses so you would control flow using ball valves on outlet of pumps instead. Am I missing something?:eek:

I'm assuming they are hooked up through the pump's outlet and are being used to whirlpool.

I'm assuming they are hooked up through the pump's outlet and are being used to whirlpool.

This. The idea is to do fine tuning of flow control with that valve, not shut off flow the from pump for it. Unless it's hardplumbed or uses re-inforced high temp hosing, it wouldn't be designed as the sole pump shut off. Look closely...do those sytems ALSO have a valve on the pump outlet? I'd expect that to be the case.

Mine, and most others, have a return for the whirlpool. I have a valve up top to keep wort from boiling out, as I don't have a hose connected at all times. The throttling is done at the pump outlet, as others have mentioned. It's as high as I can get it on a keggle, but pre-boil would get a little close for comfort.

If you're seeing this a lot, I'm sure 99% of those are for the same reasons.

Ok. It is actually to prevent stuff from coming out of there when hoses arent connected....That makes sense. Thx.

A lot of folks with a single tier use a hose on top of the grain bed when recirculating mash or sparging, so having a ball valve on that inlet prevents a siphon that could send hot wort or hot cleaning water all over the place .... don't ask how I learned that lesson...

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

A lot of folks with a single tier use a hose on top of the grain bed when recirculating mash or sparging, so having a ball valve on that inlet prevents a siphon that could send hot wort or hot cleaning water all over the place .... don't ask how I learned that lesson...

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I have been there my friend. Done it with the boil kettle too. Walked out of the garage and back in a couple of minutes to find 1/2 my wort in a 5G bucket! Thank god I put the hose in a bucket at least!

Back