New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Automated E-HERMS build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
Maltose
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Automated E-HERMS build

Just wrapping up some planning in sketchup for my new 20 gallon E-HERMS brewery. It will feature a 30 gallon HLT and brew kettle and a 42 gallon MLT with a grain dump. There are also 1/2" electric ball valves, stainless hard plumbing and bottom drains on all three vessels. I'm also planning on integrating Brewtroller. I haven't completely finished the model, but you get the idea. The kettles and valves got shipped yesterday, so I'll update this thread with actual photos as things start coming together.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
moparx12
Recipes 

this is cool. I am building a similar rig. BT controlled, automated. Looking forward to the progress!

Old 02-25-2012, 12:13 AM   #3
thelorax121
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Working on a similar sized system as well, but most likely with BCS. What are you using for kettles, barrels? I am torn b/t 30, 42 and 55 gallon tanks, as I am not sure how well smaller (15-20 gal) batches will do with 55 gal tanks. Tri clover connects? What's the plan for volume measurement?

Old 02-25-2012, 02:15 AM   #4
Maltose
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelorax121
Working on a similar sized system as well, but most likely with BCS. What are you using for kettles, barrels? I am torn b/t 30, 42 and 55 gallon tanks, as I am not sure how well smaller (15-20 gal) batches will do with 55 gal tanks. Tri clover connects? What's the plan for volume measurement?
Using barrels from www.bubbasbarrels.com. They are .050 wall thickness which I believe is a little thicker than a keg.

I will weld tri clover ferrules for all connections opposed to welding 1/2" couplers to cut down on threaded fittings. Most of the bends in the plumbing will also be bent instead of swageloks.

If I go with Brewtroller, I'll integrate their air bubbler system for volume measurement.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
thelorax121
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Very cool. I am looking at using bubba as well, cheap and heavy duty. My only decision now is between the 30 gal and 55 gal barrels. I figure I will start with the 30 gal, and can up grade to a 55 gal BK if I want to stretch into nano territory (based on my calculations, I could still press out a 1.078 1 bbl batch with the 30 gal MLT). However, your idea of the 42 gal MLT might be a great compromise, plus the wider diameter might make it more efficient.

I will be soldering in 1" tri ferrules for my in/out ports, and 1.5" ferrules for the electric elements, trying to eliminate all threads for a sanitary design (again, pretty much just case I want to creep my way into nano). Right now I am planning on TC sight glasses, but if brewtroller comes out with a simpler computer user interface by the time I get this project off the ground, I may go that route as well. Right now I am spending so much time on the hardware, I really don't want to delve into the BT software, but we'll see.

Thanks again for the post, I will be keeping up to see how everything goes!

Old 02-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
Maltose
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelorax121
Very cool. I am looking at using bubba as well, cheap and heavy duty. My only decision now is between the 30 gal and 55 gal barrels. I figure I will start with the 30 gal, and can up grade to a 55 gal BK if I want to stretch into nano territory (based on my calculations, I could still press out a 1.078 1 bbl batch with the 30 gal MLT). However, your idea of the 42 gal MLT might be a great compromise, plus the wider diameter might make it more efficient.

I will be soldering in 1" tri ferrules for my in/out ports, and 1.5" ferrules for the electric elements, trying to eliminate all threads for a sanitary design (again, pretty much just case I want to creep my way into nano). Right now I am planning on TC sight glasses, but if brewtroller comes out with a simpler computer user interface by the time I get this project off the ground, I may go that route as well. Right now I am spending so much time on the hardware, I really don't want to delve into the BT software, but we'll see.

Thanks again for the post, I will be keeping up to see how everything goes!
I'll be doing 1" TCs as well. It looks like a bunch of people followed my lead and bought some of Bubbas barrels...he only has a couple left.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #7
NinjaJoe
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Any higher detail pics of your plumbing?

Old 02-29-2012, 09:55 PM   #8
goingmad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparx12 View Post
this is cool. I am building a similar rig. BT controlled, automated. Looking forward to the progress!
BT rulez!

Old 03-01-2012, 01:57 AM   #9
Bubbasbarrels
Vendor
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I recommend you take a good look at the 42 gal barrels. They are heavier, easier to clean and more efficient.

If you want 30's don't waste time as my supply is very limited.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:23 AM   #10
thelorax121
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Damn, I had a feeling that might be the case. I do like that the 42's have the same diameter as the 55's so the false bottom would be interchangeable. The only issue I for see is with the mash tun if I want to brew smaller (15-20 gal batches), as according to my calcs, the grain for a batch this size would only fill up 8-10 inches of the barrel, leaving a ton of dead space and an excessively shallow grain bed. I am thinking about breaking down and getting a smaller MLT for these batches unless anyone else has any other ideas....

Quick Reply