Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Automated chiller help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2010, 12:40 AM   #1
Shinglejohn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Automated chiller help

I have been using the "son of" fermentation box for the last couple of years but would like to upgrade to something that is automated as changin the ice daily is a bit tedious.

I have a mini fridge i was going to turn into a kegerator and had considered also making it run my chiller box.

Has anyone done/seen a similar project?
Do you have any plans/links?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 12:51 AM   #2
SweetSounds
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just search the forum for "Fermentation chamber"

You'll be reading for hours.

Put some duct tape over the gauge - Or better yet - Replace the high pressure gauge with a plug - High pressure gauges are useless!

Old 06-04-2010, 12:54 AM   #3
Shinglejohn
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Well, i wanted to avoid reading for hours, i was hoping that everyone elses reading for hours could provide me a shortcut.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:10 AM   #4
kgfitz
Recipes 

you could try somthing like this "Kegerator conversion from mini upright freezer" you just need a temp controler

edit: sorry don't know how to post shortcuts yet. run a search up top it will be the frist one that shows up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBmadtown View Post
If we were perfect the first time it wouldn't be much of a hobby now would it?

Last edited by kgfitz; 06-04-2010 at 01:13 AM.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:30 AM   #5
SweetSounds
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinglejohn View Post
Well, i wanted to avoid reading for hours, i was hoping that everyone elses reading for hours could provide me a shortcut.
We have read for hours. And each of us have taken different things away from that research. My idea of a fermentation chamber is 7' tall, 5' wide, and 3' deep. Some thing I'm nuts - And their ideas, based on their research, are better for them. We don't know what model fridge you have, or how big of a chamber you want to build. Do you want to lager in it? Or just ferment ales? Just carboys? Or Carboys, maybe cornys or a conical?

There are WAY too many variables for anyone here to answer your question in any more detail than the following:

You can probably use your fridge for cooling - Depends on how much cooling power it has, and how big your chamber will be...
You can build the walls out of just about anything - Most use some sort of frame and plywood for sheathing... (One even used a kitchen table)
You can insulate with about 1/2 dozen different kinds of foam or fiberglass - Most use extruded foam insulation with great success... (The pink stuff - Formular I think)
You can use a Love controller, or Auber Instruments PID, or a Johnson or Ranco to control the temperature. Some use a BCS-460 or BrewTroller. As for wiring them - Research. There are a ton of great threads that will walk you through every step of every step of your project.

If I was to venture you a shortcut, it's "Build a box on the end of your fridge. You should probably insulate it, and you'll want some sort of temperature controller to hold fermentation temps.

Good luck

Ok, I'll STFU (Been drinking a bit tonight) and search for ya for 10 minutes, but that's all you get
The first link is a "Son of" a fermentation chamber, modified to use a dorm fridge - It's also the first thread I found when I searched for "Fermentation Chamber"
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ferm...hamber-161146/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-fermentation-chamber-kegerator-build-102383
/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/anot...hamber-143443/

This one has a great idea from Fatman, and the plan I have percolating in my little brain...
Put some duct tape over the gauge - Or better yet - Replace the high pressure gauge with a plug - High pressure gauges are useless!

Last edited by SweetSounds; 06-04-2010 at 02:42 AM.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:38 PM   #6
PlayMizuno
Recipes 

Here is what I just finished. I currently have 2 batches fermenting with room for another one and maybe 3 cornies.

complete.jpg  

Old 06-04-2010, 06:53 PM   #7
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinglejohn View Post
Precisely why this site is full of the same 10 threads over and over and over and over again. Don't be lazy, DO a search.

Quick Reply