Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/)
-   -   Automated burner help (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/automated-burner-help-253755/)

Cantaloupe 06-27-2011 03:34 PM

Automated burner help
 
It seems like there are a lot of opinions about this out there but I want to start collecting parts for my Brutus build. In my last thread the responders prompted me to use a basic temp controller and a standing pilot. So in your guys experience, what is the best gas valve and temperature controller to use with this type of setup?? Also, links to where I could pick these up would be great. I know Brutus uses asco and love controllers, but I was wondering if there have been any updates.

Catt22 06-27-2011 05:17 PM

I used this pilot assembly:

http://www.pexsupply.com/Honeywell-Q314A4586-Honeywell-Q314A4586-Pilot-Burner-4113000-p

and this valve: http://cgi.ebay.com/3-8-Electric-Solenoid-Valve-110-V-AC-Air-Water-B21N-/290578532900?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a7d4 8a24

There is no thermocouple safety shutoff on my pilot burner. This can be hazardous so take that into consideration if you go this route. I do not operate the burner unattended for this reason.

JuanMoore 06-27-2011 05:32 PM

Not sure of the best, but the Love TS2 is a popular controller that would work well for you. The Love TCS would also work if you want to use thermocouples instead of thermistor probes, but they're a little more expensive. I used these because I'm cheap. By buying 3 (two for my control panel and one for my keezer) and combining shipping they were <$20 each. The Love's have a much higher contact rating, but the gas valves and pumps hardly draw any amperage so the cheap ones work fine for me.

I'm far from knowledgeable on the subject of gas valves, but I have purchased and plan on using a Honeywell VR8200A with a Q314A standing pilot and thermocouple. Sawdustguy (who seems much more knowledgeable about these than me) mentioned in another thread that RTD's are better for this application, but I already have a thermocouple that I know will work with this valve. From what I understand the Asco valves are pricey, and the way they are set up in the original Brutus design doesn't have the safety feature of shutting the gas off if the pilot goes out.

If you aren't worried about the safety issue of the pilot going out, there are cheaper valves on e-bay. Edit: Catt22 posted the valves I was referring to before I could finish typing.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

kladue 06-27-2011 08:05 PM

Here is a list and links for low pressure gas burner control parts and a transformer capable of operating 2 valves at the same time.

The gas control part numbers to look for are:
Honeywell VR8200 valve http://www.pexsupply.com/Honeywell-VR8200A2132-1-2-24-Vac-Standing-Pilot-Gas-Valve-11588000-p
Honeywell Q314 pilot burner http://www.pexsupply.com/Honeywell-Q314A4586-Honeywell-Q314A4586-Pilot-Burner-4113000-p
Honeywell Q390 Thermocouple http://www.pexsupply.com/Honeywell-Q390A1046-24-Thermocouple-1721000-p
75 VA transformer http://www.pexsupply.com/Honeywell-AT175A1008-Foot-mounted-120-208-240-Vac-Transformer-w-9-in-Lead-Wires-75VA-11016000-p

Cantaloupe 06-27-2011 11:13 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. This is a great place to start. I was wondering what the thermocouple was used for with a standing pilot. Is it mounted with the pilot to sense when it is not lit and shut off the gas? and the pilot is manually lit?

kladue 06-28-2011 02:31 AM

The thermocouple generates power to hold safety valve in honeywell gas valve open while pilot flame is burning, no fire, no power told valve open and all gas is shut off. Normally you would light the pilots once at start of brew day and that would be all that is needed until you shut off the honeywell valve or propane tank off.

worldzfree 06-28-2011 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kladue (Post 3041296)
Here is a list and links for low pressure gas burner control parts and a transformer capable of operating 2 valves at the same time.

The gas control part numbers to look for are:
Honeywell VR8200 valve http://www.pexsupply.com/Honeywell-VR8200A2132-1-2-24-Vac-Standing-Pilot-Gas-Valve-11588000-p
Honeywell Q314 pilot burner http://www.pexsupply.com/Honeywell-Q314A4586-Honeywell-Q314A4586-Pilot-Burner-4113000-p
Honeywell Q390 Thermocouple http://www.pexsupply.com/Honeywell-Q390A1046-24-Thermocouple-1721000-p
75 VA transformer http://www.pexsupply.com/Honeywell-AT175A1008-Foot-mounted-120-208-240-Vac-Transformer-w-9-in-Lead-Wires-75VA-11016000-p

Kladue, I was under the impression that same transformer could control 3 valves at the same time. Is that not the case?

Shockerengr 06-28-2011 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catt22 (Post 3040754)
I used this pilot assembly:

http://www.pexsupply.com/Honeywell-Q314A4586-Honeywell-Q314A4586-Pilot-Burner-4113000-p

and this valve: http://cgi.ebay.com/3-8-Electric-Solenoid-Valve-110-V-AC-Air-Water-B21N-/290578532900?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a7d4 8a24

There is no thermocouple safety shutoff on my pilot burner. This can be hazardous so take that into consideration if you go this route. I do not operate the burner unattended for this reason.

What pressure of propane are you running with that pilot light assembly? 1/2 or 10+?

Catt22 06-28-2011 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shockerengr (Post 3044356)
What pressure of propane are you running with that pilot light assembly? 1/2 or 10+?

I actually have two burners that use the pilot burners. One is running on a fixed low pressure regulator. I think it's 1 psi or less. The other burner is running on an adjustable 0-10 psi regulator which probably ioperates most of the time at the low to mid range, but at times full throttle. I have gas supply to the pilots controlled with a small needle valve. I seldom have to adjust the needle valves. The pilots seem to work well at a fairly wide range of pressures.

kladue 06-29-2011 01:12 AM

The 75 Va transformer will handle 3 standing pilot valves, typically only 2 are running at one time. For spark ignition systems keep the ignition and valve combinations at 2 only with a 75Va transformer, with a 100Va transformer you can handle 3 ignition modules at same time.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:12 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.