Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > auto-sparge
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
GamePreserve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 68
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default auto-sparge

Has anyone used the Auto-Sparge? what do you think about it? Any other ideas as to a piece of equipment (valves) that could serve the same function? I was poking around McMaster, and also the Hardware store sites. the closest i can think of is the part that installs in a toilet tank, but temperature would probably be an issue. just throwing it out there.

___________________
GPB

__________________
GamePreserve is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2010, 10:07 PM   #2
Catt22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,998
Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

I don't have any experience with the Auto-Sparge, but I think you could use a brass float valve and it would handle the temperature OK.

I've been thinking about trying out one of these valves:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/HUD...XV6?Pid=search

They are only rated to 150 F @ 100 psi, but I would guess there's some room to go above 150 as it would only be facing a few psi at most. I don't think it would need to be completely submerged. Probably only the bottom end where the float is located. It's not too expensive at $32, so it's not a major gamble if it doesn't work. It's a little bulky at 2-3/4" diameter and 5" tall, but not too bad really. I will report back if I ever get around to testing one.

__________________
Catt22 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2010, 10:23 PM   #3
Funkenjaeger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Funkenjaeger's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 1,637
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Keep in mind that it does you no good if the valve gets clogged or stuck the first time it sees a grain particle. And, whatever you use, you have to figure out a way to mount it.

I never really thought $50 for the autosparge was outrageous, especially when compared to the alternatives...

__________________
Funkenjaeger is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2010, 10:46 PM   #4
GamePreserve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 68
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Sure. the way i'd see it is i'd rather spend 50$ on batches so i can practice and refine my recipes, rather than spend cash on fancy equipment. i envy those that can afford nifty toys, but then i wouldn't have cash to actually brew. Maybe someday.
I'm still learning the labyrinth that is McMaster, but what about something like part number 4607K43;
Brass Miniature Float Valve Polypro, Single-Lever, 1/2" NPT Male X Unthreaded
In stock at $13.26 Each

http://www.mcmaster.com/#liquid-leve...valves/=8wo4z5

__________________
GamePreserve is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2010, 01:36 AM   #5
ScubaSteve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScubaSteve's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Bern, NC
Posts: 3,674
Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamePreserve View Post
Sure. the way i'd see it is i'd rather spend 50$ on batches so i can practice and refine my recipes, rather than spend cash on fancy equipment. i envy those that can afford nifty toys, but then i wouldn't have cash to actually brew. Maybe someday.
I'm still learning the labyrinth that is McMaster, but what about something like part number 4607K43;
Brass Miniature Float Valve Polypro, Single-Lever, 1/2" NPT Male X Unthreaded
In stock at $13.26 Each

http://www.mcmaster.com/#liquid-leve...valves/=8wo4z5
Boy...you said it...I'm poorer now, brew less, and have less useable equipment than when I started.....all because I'm in the middle of a mega build.......
ScubaSteve is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2010, 03:54 AM   #6
Catt22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,998
Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkenjaeger View Post
Keep in mind that it does you no good if the valve gets clogged or stuck the first time it sees a grain particle. And, whatever you use, you have to figure out a way to mount it.

I never really thought $50 for the autosparge was outrageous, especially when compared to the alternatives...
I would only be using the float valve for sparging, not for circulating wort, so it should see only plain, clear hot water. Grain particulates would likely screw with the Auto-Sparge or any other automatic valve. I was looking for a more compact valve that did not use a long actuating arm and float. I'm confident that I can mount the valve without much trouble at all. The $50 price would not be a deal killer for me. Hell, I spend more than that on a pedicure every few weeks.
__________________
Catt22 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2010, 04:40 AM   #7
ncgardenfreaks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Posts: 14
Default

I'll look up the parts we use in our condensate tanks at work and post them here. They stand in 215+ degree water 24 hours a day and dont stop up.

__________________
ncgardenfreaks is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2010, 05:29 AM   #8
GamePreserve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 68
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

If its some sort of mechanical valve that would be responsive to a short, buoyant lever arm with a range of 0-3 inches... then that is the device for the job! I guess figuring out what to mount it on would be a piece of cake.

__________________
GamePreserve is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2010, 06:33 AM   #9
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JuanMoore's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Old Pueblo
Posts: 16,408
Liked 3220 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default

I wonder if a swamp cooler float valve would work. Something like this- I've got a pile of old swamp cooler parts, and I'm sure with the lower pressures it would see that the arm could be shortened quite a bit without any problem.

__________________
JuanMoore is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2010, 08:10 AM   #10
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Manorville, New York
Posts: 2,772
Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamePreserve View Post
Has anyone used the Auto-Sparge? what do you think about it? Any other ideas as to a piece of equipment (valves) that could serve the same function? I was poking around McMaster, and also the Hardware store sites. the closest i can think of is the part that installs in a toilet tank, but temperature would probably be an issue. just throwing it out there.

___________________
GPB
This has been discussed in in this thread also: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/blic...sparge-137942/. The search function does wonders.
__________________

Guy

Sawdustguy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carboy and Keg Auto-Washer TimWeber DIY Projects 17 08-17-2012 04:32 AM
Fly Sparge Arm? Simphoto02 DIY Projects 6 07-29-2009 03:09 PM
DIY Sparge Arm? Anthony_Lopez DIY Projects 8 12-09-2008 01:45 AM
Making the auto-siphon longer? fat x nub DIY Projects 3 08-15-2008 12:19 AM
Auto Siphon Clip? Neomich DIY Projects 4 12-11-2007 09:08 PM