Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Attaching whirlpool tube to inner side of half-coupling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2010, 01:48 AM   #1
Red Clay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Attaching whirlpool tube to inner side of half-coupling

I have a Polar 14 gallon SS boil kettle. Polar did a great job welding on the out fitting and a single half-coupling for the thermometer. But that half-coupling is a problem.

I was hoping to avoid putting another hole in the kettle when I install my whirlpool system. The best way to do that is to use the thermometer half-coupling to input my recirculation for my whirlpool. But they not only have a half-coupling, they welded on a washer (it appears) on the inside. So I can't install a 1/2" NPT x 1/2" compression fitting for my whirlpool tube.

Here are the pictures:

Is there any way to attach a tube on the inside of the pot using the 1/2" NPT half-coupling that's welded on the outside? I thought about a 1/2" x 3/8" bushing, but the ones I've seen don't take the female threads through to the inside. I've also seen something called a 'thru wall tank fitting', that does take the female (inner) threads to both sides. But the smallest one of those I've been able to google is 2".

I also tried jamming the 1/2" ss tube into a nipple (it's a close fit, so I considered soldering it in), but that is not only way ghetto, it is fairly permanent since I can't fully rotate the contraption to remove it once it is soldered in place.

So, any advice? I'm afraid it's going to be 'another hole', which isn't that bad. That SS soldering works really well after all...

Last edited by Red Clay; 12-16-2010 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Added Photos

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2010, 02:22 AM   #2
jroot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've been contemplating doing the same thing with my Morebeer 8 gal kettle. The half coupling does not allow a 1/2" NPT to be attached from the inside. My idea is to buy a compression fitting for 1/2" copper (OD 5/8") with a 1/2" MPT and drill the inside of the fitting out so I could extend the recirculation pipe through from the inside of the BK thereby screwing the comp. fitting from the outside. The 1/2" copper pipe would be configured for the recirculation on the inside and extend through the comp. fitting so that a ball valve could be attached for control.

An alternative method would be to configure a siphon tube pickup at the lower coupling from the inside as usual and recirculate by just attaching a ball valve to the upper coupling and then place a tube to the INPUT of the pump from there and a tube from the OUTPUT of the pump to the lower ball valve. This is what I am going to do since its the easiest. Since the wort level would be well above the upper couple there is no fear of sucking air into the pump INPUT.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply