New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Attaching plumbing to Brutus stand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 11:13 PM   #1
Patirck
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Attaching plumbing to Brutus stand

I am in the process of customizing a single tier stand I purchased. The stand came with two march 809 hs pumps. I already had a chugger pump from my previous ghetto stand of turkey fryers and cooler mlt. I created a series of ball valves, cross fittings and t-fittings that will allow me to use all three pumps and not have to move any hoses while brewing. It is mostly made up of 1/2" stainless with some copper in between so the valve handles will line up right. If I was going to do this again I'd save up for some tri clamp stuff but I have this now so I want to use it.

What way would you attach this to the brew stand? I was thinking u-bolts but I have a heat /splash shield that I would have to cut though and I'd rather not do that. I've been to all the big box hardware stores and can't find anything that seems like it would work.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
supe_kitchen
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You could drill into the stand and use a cheap tap and die kit to thread the holes. With threaded holes you can screw in some half ring mounts and have that hold up your plumbing. This is how we mounted the conduit and gas pipe plumbing on my Brutus, and tap and die kits are super cheap at harbor freight.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:22 AM   #3
OneHoppyGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Do it the way it's done professionally.
Unistrut and Superstrut can be had at Home Depot and Lowes. Take a look around you, you'll see conduit and plumbing mounted to this stuff everywhere you go.

Brewright. All Rights Reserved. We reserve the right to brew and to help you brew. To protect the brew and defend the brew. To make the brew and drink the brew.

BrewSteel.com
BrewSteel on Facebook

Old 02-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
Patirck
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

The unistrut approach is interesting. I've done the same thing sort of with some 2x3 to create an offset so the pumps could be attached with U-screws. I'll check that out. I just need to figure out a way to mount it on the front for the liquid plumbing and not have jagged edges there to cut myself one while brewing.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
Patirck
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Just and update - I ended up using copper bell clamps from lowes. I drilled and tapped a few #8 machine screw holes to attach them. For some of the pluming I cut up some silicon hose to act as sort of a bushing between the pipe/valve and the clamp to get more of a non slip thing so when I turn valves there is no play. I have yet to brew on it (still working out some low pressure propane issues that is too low pressure). But it seems pretty good and the clamps were cheap. If I had a cut off tool and a way of smoothing out the uni strut I would probably have done that but my tool selection is limited.

Quick Reply