Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Attaching keezer collar to freezer - just Silicone?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2014, 06:45 AM   #11
Jwood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiewould View Post
Well I've bought some kitchen/bathroom "wet area" silicone. It says "mould/spore resistant"

Will see how it goes. Ideally I'm after a level of bonding that if I bump it it's not going to fall off, but if I really want to get it off (yank it hard enough or use a knife) I still can.

Will report back. Still varnishing for now (damn drying times!)
It will come off easy enough with a thin sharp knife. It would be amazingly impressive if you could yank it clean off.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2014, 07:09 AM   #12
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 564 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Why would you want to "attach" the collar to the freezer?

Mount the color on the original hinges. It'll be much easier to load kegs with the collar out of the way. Even if you don't use them, it's a much firmer hold than silicone.

Buy a second set of hinges for the lid portion. Doesn't have to be fancy. My keezer, deep freeze and fermentation chamber use door hinges.

Apply foam weatherstripping to the rim of the freezer. If you want, you can apply it to the rim of the collar as well. On my fermentation chamber, I applied the weatherstripping to the top of the collar, then silicone'd the weatherstripping to the original rubber seal. When I removed it to upsize the collar, it was not harder to remove than peeling the glue off the back of a gift card.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 01-10-2014, 01:00 AM   #13
drksky
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
Why would you want to "attach" the collar to the freezer?

Mount the color on the original hinges. It'll be much easier to load kegs with the collar out of the way. Even if you don't use them, it's a much firmer hold than silicone.

Buy a second set of hinges for the lid portion. Doesn't have to be fancy. My keezer, deep freeze and fermentation chamber use door hinges.

Apply foam weatherstripping to the rim of the freezer. If you want, you can apply it to the rim of the collar as well. On my fermentation chamber, I applied the weatherstripping to the top of the collar, then silicone'd the weatherstripping to the original rubber seal. When I removed it to upsize the collar, it was not harder to remove than peeling the glue off the back of a gift card.
When attaching the door hinges to the lid, did you just use the original holes or did you drill new holes? Are they just attached with machine screws? I haven't looked at mine, but I'm assuming that's how the stock hinges are attached.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:15 AM   #14
thadius856

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drksky View Post
When attaching the door hinges to the lid, did you just use the original holes or did you drill new holes? Are they just attached with machine screws? I haven't looked at mine, but I'm assuming that's how the stock hinges are attached.
Door hinges to lid? I used the factory holes in the lid and the factory screws. The sheet metal is thin on the lid, so if you drill new holes in the lid, you'll need to reinforce them. Bust out the tap 'n' die! Not fun.

I dismounted my lid and walked it into Home Depot, then walked it to the hinges section. Lined up every hinge on the wall with the lid until I found one where the hole pattern worked.

I'll go take a picture.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:58 AM   #15
thadius856

Recipes 

Here ya go.

Yeah, I'm a terrible person. Didn't paint the back of the collar. It's against a wall anyway.

KidIcarus Likes This 
Old 01-10-2014, 02:14 AM   #16
PasbitinusBluinusRibbinus
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I made my collar by making a rectangular with 2x6's that was the size of the original lid, then added 2x10's to the outside of that rectangle. Makes for a drop "press" fit, which is removable if necessary and sealed. The factory hinges attach the lid.

Making even PBR sound appealing.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:27 AM   #17
thadius856

Recipes 

Same here, except I used 2x10 for the structural portion and 1x12 for the face. Was trying not to add extra weight. It's already fairly heavy.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:18 AM   #18
drksky
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PasbitinusBluinusRibbinus View Post
I made my collar by making a rectangular with 2x6's that was the size of the original lid, then added 2x10's to the outside of that rectangle. Makes for a drop "press" fit, which is removable if necessary and sealed. The factory hinges attach the lid.
If your collar isn't glued to the freezer, how are you sealing between the two? Weather stripping?

My freezer is in use, so I can't really take the lid with me to match up hinges.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:16 PM   #19
thadius856

Recipes 

Quote:
If your collar isn't glued to the freezer, how are you sealing between the two? Weather stripping?

My freezer is in use, so I can't really take the lid with me to match up hinges.
Then draw the pattern in SketchUp, print it full size, and Taprite it with you. Or calipers and a Stein pad. Or a tape measure and a sticky note. DoDoes Home Depot or Lowes have a floor model? Take the lid off it and walk it across the store.

As for what seals the keezer: weatherstripping and gravity.

When you bought it from the store, the rubber lid gasket and gravity were all it had. At freezing temps. For millions of units sold in the past several decades. With an Energy Star rating. We don't have an internal positive pressure differential to battle with, so this is all thats needed for the seal between the collar and the lid. Assuming your collar is flat and not shaped like a Pringles.

For the connection seal between the collar and the freezer body, attach some strip-style foam weatherstripping, let the weight of the collar hold work its magic.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:23 PM   #20
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 375 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckO View Post
I used a second set of lid hinges so that I can open the lid or raise the entire collar for easier loading of kegs.
Quote:

My lid and collar are both hinged. I used weather stripping-just the cheap stuff from Home Depot. I have found that I don't open the whole collar very often, just the top.

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keezer-i-guess-its-my-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.

Quick Reply