The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Ask Your Welding Questions Here!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
tigmaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Default Ask Your Welding Questions Here!!!

No work today and i would love to give out some good info....any takers?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #2
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 2698 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Here's one. What welder would be a good buy for me? Infrequent use (few times a year likely) only welded once in my life just putting two pieces together to try it. I'd be welding small things, a brew stand being the largest scale project I could project outside of mower repair and things like that. Don't need the best, but would want it to last a while at least. I'm assuming MIG, but what specs to look at and what not? I don't want gas tanks and what not laying around.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 12-06-2010, 03:42 PM   #3
tigmaster
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

here took me a min to find it but check this machine out....

http://www.longevity-inc.com/product...dAll-200PI.php

you might have to type it in manully but this is a tig welder a stick welder a plasma cutter all in one it goes for around 1600...i have a miller 150 stl....and if i would have seen this machine before i bought my tig for 900 i would have seriously considered this unit...a littlle 25 pound bottle or argon which is good for all tig welding and ur rocking

Old 12-06-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
cruelkix
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigmaster View Post
here took me a min to find it but check this machine out....

http://www.longevity-inc.com/product...dAll-200PI.php

you might have to type it in manully but this is a tig welder a stick welder a plasma cutter all in one it goes for around 1600...i have a miller 150 stl....and if i would have seen this machine before i bought my tig for 900 i would have seriously considered this unit...a littlle 25 pound bottle or argon which is good for all tig welding and ur rocking

This looks like a nice unit. The specs say the input is 50amp 220/240v. I have a 50 amp 220V plug in my garage. That's all I need right?

Old 12-06-2010, 04:23 PM   #5
tigmaster
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

yeah that should work.....their website looks really legit....they claim its for industrial use.....i want that machine bad!!!....u might have to swap out the plug...and maybe pull the plug out of your wall just to check weather u have 3 or 4 wires in the romex....that might be important.....electricty is my fortay...sorry

Old 12-06-2010, 04:31 PM   #6
JohnTheBrewist
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

That's a nice machine tigmaster, but probably way more than he needs. A simple wire feed or Mig welder will do the trick, and will probably be much easier for a beginner to use.

I've used a 120v wire feed welder like this one to build numerous projects, including a utility trailer.

The basic wire feed welder uses flux core welding wire (no mig gas). The drawback is that you'll have welding spatter and slag to clean up. Most of these can be converted to mig, but once you do, the thickness of metal you can weld goes down. The MIG gas virtually eliminates spatter and slag.

If you can do 240v, I'd recommend this one. It comes with a gun for aluminum, which is an extra on most other's models. With a different gas mixture and stainless wire, you should also be able to weld stainless materials using a mig welder

If you've got a place to plug in a 240v model, I would go with that, because you'll be able to weld a bit thicker material. But if not, a 120v model will do for what you've described.

I'm not a professional welder, but this has worked great for me.

Moose

Old 12-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #7
cruelkix
Recipes 

I would agree that what he posted is a bit much for what IP asked for, HOWEVER, I think that if you have any ideas of welding stainless in the future you should look at a TIG. I mean, at some point I would think that anyone who CAN weld, that is in this hobby, will think to himself, dang, I really wish I had a TIG so I could weld stainless! Considering nearly everything we use is stainless (or we want it to be/should be) I think it's a valid suggestion so that you dont have to buy equipment twice.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:32 PM   #8
JohnTheBrewist
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You don't need a TIG to weld stainless. Airgas tells me that you can buy a different gas mixture and stainless wire to weld stainless with a MIG. I'm going to try this hopefully this weekend. If it doesn't work, I can always use acetylene and rod.

Moose

Old 12-06-2010, 05:38 PM   #9
cruelkix
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MenkeMoose View Post
You don't need a TIG to weld stainless. Airgas tells me that you can buy a different gas mixture and stainless wire to weld stainless with a MIG. I'm going to try this hopefully this weekend. If it doesn't work, I can always use acetylene and rod.

Moose
I'd love to hear how that works. Everything I've heard is that TIG is the way to go for stainless, not that you HAVE to use TIG just that it produces a much better weld for that material. I hope it works well for you. Some pics would be awesome.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:56 PM   #10
tigmaster
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MenkeMoose View Post

Moose
yeah u want tri mix gas for mig welding ss

Quick Reply