Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > areation for the wort.....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2009, 07:34 AM   #1
JoshuaWhite5522
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default areation for the wort.....

in an attempt to get O2 into the wort for the start of the fermentation i thought up this idea let me know what you think. I start with adding the wort to a sanitized glass carboy and cover with a carboy cap. One piece of the cap get s a racking cane insterted into it which goes down to the wort. The other piece of the cap gets a hose over it connected to a sealed and filled botteling bucket. You open the valve in the bucket and let the water drain out. the vacume will force air through the racking cane in the wort. Do you think this will cause good oxygen levels into the wort to give the yeast a good start?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2009, 07:38 AM   #2
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

Shake shake shake

Shake shake shake

Shake your caaaarboy. Shake your caaaaarboy.

Actually, that seems like it might work. Basically the same thing as an O2 stone, but without the pump. Still seems more complicated than just shaking the hell out of it, but if you can get it to work, more power to you. Let us know how it works, if/when you test it out.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:53 AM   #3
RBChallenger
Recipes 

I went the cheaters route and got the aeration system from Williams Brewing (the one that requires an O2 bottle. I'd be interested to hear how this works though.

Regards,
Rich

Primary 1: Watermelon Wheat Ale
Primary 2: Irish Red
Secondary 1: Alaskan Amber
Secondary 2: Air
Secondary 3: Air

Bottled: Foggy Haze Hefeweizen (ver 1.0)
Planned: Chocolate Mint Oatmeal Stout, EdWort's Apfelwein

Old 03-23-2009, 02:57 AM   #4
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You could get the same kind of effect using this guy: The WortWizard from Island Brewing Products

Good for glass carboys but not recommended for better bottles (they'll deform). Personally my pump usually works my wort into a mean foam after it pulls it through the chiller, but if I get a good seal on the pump that day I have an O2 stone.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Quick Reply