New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Arduino controlled fermentation chamber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
xrattiracer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Arduino controlled fermentation chamber

Yes, my first post on homebrewtalk is about the fermentation chamber I have been building
I have all of 2 brews under my belt, but I dont have a place with stable temperature and I love gadgets so hence this build. Also been wanting to use an Arduino for something, and this seemed perfect.
As an overview, I enclosed a stainless steel cart from Ikea with insulation and installed a peltier module. There are several reasons I went with this method.
1) Needs to be portable. My house is very small and the fermentation chamber normally lives in the spare bedroom, but needs to be able to be moved elsewhere if that room is needed.
2) Needs to be small. Kinda goes along with the above, but also necessitates the peltier module as there is not enough room for a compressor and associated plumbing.
3) Needs to be able to easily switch from heating to cooling. The climate here generally stays pretty close to fermentation temps, so there are times of the year when it will need to cool during the day and heat during the night. The peltier setup makes this easy.
4) Needs to be able to be monitored and controlled remotely. Because I can, mostly
Parts used, mostly sourced off ebay:
Ikea Flytta stainless steel cart.
1.5" styrofoam for insulation, with plywood walls.
Arduino mega with ethernet shield.
400 watt peltier module.
12v @ 36 amp switching power supply.
box of misc large heatsinks.
25 amp h-bridge controller.
DS18B20 OneWire digital temperature sensors.
Ikea Dioder LED strips (hey, it needs light inside, right?).

The physical built is complete, however I am having problems cooling the hot side heatsink with the weak fans I have, so I have some much stronger ones on order. If that still doesnt work, I will water cool the external side. And until I can get that under control, I can't start experimenting with PID control.
I have plenty more pictures, but this should get it started

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2012, 10:05 PM   #2
MR2Aaron
Recipes 

Curious: Why use an Arduino Mega and not a regular arduino? Just what you had on hand?

Really neat, though. I used a fridge with some bad control parts for my arduino-controlled fermentation chamber/kegerator, which was a lot simpler to implement.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:14 PM   #3
xrattiracer
Recipes 

I wanted to get a mega just to play with mostly. It will probably get swapped out with one of the smaller ones eventually.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #4
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1197 Times on 790 Posts
Likes Given: 533

Very cool. What kind of H-Bridge controller are you using? I've been meaning to do something like this for a while, but every time I go onto digikey to pick out mosfets my eyes kind of glaze over.

(I've got one of the old NuCool fridges, but I've been thinking of bypassing the controller to do both heat and cool in terms like this.)

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 06-04-2012, 11:02 PM   #5
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Hi

I think you will need something that looks more like the blower on a forced air furnace and some ducting to get the heat off of your heat sink.

Bob

Old 06-04-2012, 11:07 PM   #6
xrattiracer
Recipes 

malfet, I got the h-bridge off ebay, but its the simple-h from robotpower.com

Old 06-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #7
xrattiracer
Recipes 

Well the new (extremely loud) fan has the heatsink temperature under control, but I am not terribly happy with the maximum temperature differential i am getting.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #8
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/

Recipes 

I'm having a hard time reading the numbers on the image you uploaded. What kind of temperature differential are you getting?

Old 06-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #9
xrattiracer
Recipes 

hmm, i am rather unimpressed with the photo gallery here, it resizes stuff down to useless levels and wont show the original image...
the yellow line (interior temperature) is just touching the 60F line on the right.
green (exterior ambient temp) is about 73F.
red (hot side heatsink temp) is about 78F.
it made it down to 58 or so after awhile at full power, and running it at 50% power it is holding 63F.
temp rises back up pretty quickly when turning the power off so I am wondering if there isnt enough insulation. I would think that 1.5" of styrofoam would be plenty (I dont recall the exact R value).
this may turn out to be an expensive exercise in futility...

Old 06-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #10
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrattiracer View Post
hmm, i am rather unimpressed with the photo gallery here, it resizes stuff down to useless levels and wont show the original image...
the yellow line (interior temperature) is just touching the 60F line on the right.
green (exterior ambient temp) is about 73F.
red (hot side heatsink temp) is about 78F.
it made it down to 58 or so after awhile at full power, and running it at 50% power it is holding 63F.
temp rises back up pretty quickly when turning the power off so I am wondering if there isnt enough insulation. I would think that 1.5" of styrofoam would be plenty (I dont recall the exact R value).
this may turn out to be an expensive exercise in futility...
Something's not working right...I'm not sure the power on my system, but it's two peltiers and four 60mm fans for a grand total of 130W. I get about 40ºF differential without much difficulty.

Quick Reply