The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Anyone use a thermoelectric (peltier) cooler/heater for fermenting?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
acidrain
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default Anyone use a thermoelectric (peltier) cooler/heater for fermenting?

Like the title says... anybody?

These are small, solid state chillers (or heaters if polarity is reversed), and can be purchased cheap on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIANT-62mm-5...item484683b512

I have a Coleman cooler on my boat that uses this principle and it works really well.
I'm thinking of building one designed and sized specifically for fermentation and wondered if anybody has tried this here?

It would require a thermostat, a power source, a heat sink with fan, and an insulated box to put it in.
With some ingenuity, it could be made to heat or cool as needed. Seems promising.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1821 Times on 1121 Posts
Likes Given: 2616

Sounds cool! (pun intended) If you end up with a DIY project please post your work. Currently I use my freezer with a temp controller as a fermemtation chamber but something like this would be great and I'd have my freezer back.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 162 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 9

this is the premise behind the cooling aspect of the more beer heated/cooled conicals. I use them and like the concept although I haven't seen anyone else adapt them (via direct contact) to their fermenters. On the more beer conicals they use heat tape around the cone and then two peltiers recessed into a machined piece of stainless that matches the curvature of their conicals and then is back-ended with heat syncs and fan assemblies. These are powered by DC brick power supplies and are controlled by a dual stage ranco.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
acidrain
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcb View Post
this is the premise behind the cooling aspect of the more beer heated/cooled conicals. I use them and like the concept although I haven't seen anyone else adapt them (via direct contact) to their fermenters. On the more beer conicals they use heat tape around the cone and then two peltiers recessed into a machined piece of stainless that matches the curvature of their conicals and then is back-ended with heat syncs and fan assemblies. These are powered by DC brick power supplies and are controlled by a dual stage ranco.
Interesting...
I'm currently using plastic bucket fermenters, but plastic is a poor conductor of heat.
A temperature controlled air chamber with the bucket placed inside would be pretty inefficient, so I was thinking of going to a glass carboy and directly attaching the peltiers to it.
An insulating blanket with a way to disipate heat away could work too.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:50 PM   #5
Ravenshead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'd try attaching the peltiers to a piece of cheap glass first. They can get pretty cold and may cause a carboy to crack just due to thermal shock. I'm not saying they will, I'd just test one on something cheap.

I toyed with this idea in the past but decided a cheap used freezer on e-bay was an easier and cheaper option. I was going to go with the controlled air chamber method.

[QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polorl69 View Post
I had no problems whatsoever getting my pee to ferment.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
slatorian
Recipes 

what if you ran a SS coil through the fermenter-kind of like a wort chiller, but ran water or glycol through it with a small pond pomp and directly attached a peltier or 2 directly to the coil outside of the fermenter? a recirculating chiller concept that could somehow be put into a carboy, bucket, or even stainless conical. For temp control, you could just use one of the ebay temp controllers and wire it up and plug the pump in. This wouldn't even take up much more space than the fermenter by itself. Just some thoughts, hope they help someone come up with something sweet,

Old 08-29-2012, 12:29 AM   #7
CrazyCranium
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I recently built a fermentation chamber out of a peltier from a travel cooler, an arduino, and some foam insulation. My first batch is fermenting in it now and it holds temperature very well.

Here is an album that i posted on reddit not too long ago.

http://imgur.com/a/7UxID

Old 08-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #8
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 21

here's mine, it pumps cooling fluid through a copper coil soldered to a corny keg
it works!
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-u...l-junk-350722/

Old 09-04-2012, 02:42 AM   #9
acidrain
Recipes 

Wow nice job on both of those.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:02 AM   #10
KBentley57
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I built a chamber that holds 6 6.6 gallon carboys with some room left over using only 1 TEC and 4 inches of insulation. It pulls the temp down to 58 degrees F after about a week and holds it there constant. it's a 12V, 5.6A Peltier unit ran by a mini ITX power supply.

Quick Reply