The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Anyone know a cheap PID with analog output?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2011, 12:01 PM   #31
RukusDM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

regarding the use of ramping. You may want to use it. If you turn the controller on without ramping, you end up hammering the Controller with a huge error in the beginning. Depending on the response of the system, you could end up with Integral windup. This can cause large overshoots as the system tries to come into control

Derivative can also be used to minimize overshoot. It may take a while to get the gains set for your system, so a couple run throughs with water will help. I didn't read the manual but most controllers have auto tune these days and can help minimize the screwing around generating the right gains.

Primary's:
#1 - 5 Gallons Harp Clone All Grain with Wyeast 2007 Lager (~5.5% ABV)

Secondary's:
#1 - 6 Gallons Dry Irish Stout Partial (~4.0 ABV)
#2 - 6 Gallons Brown Sugar Ale All Grain with Nottingham Yeast (~5.0% to 5.2%)

Kegged:
6 Gallons Honey Ale AG

Next:
6 Gallons Brown Sugar Lager

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2011, 06:19 PM   #32
kladue
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 42 Posts

A suggestion would be to move the proportional valve to the coolant circuit instead of the wort circuit as it would not catch hop and cold break particles which would be a sanitation "oops" later. As to auto tune, it may or may not work, it depends on the response time to coolant flow change and time to transit heat exchanger to see response at temperature sensor. It is going to be interesting to see how this works as it can not be simulated and tuned before operation.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:30 AM   #33
kshuler
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well, thanks everyone for the advice. I will wait until I get all the parts and then give it a whirl. I have 2 brew days coming up this week, but I won't be ready yet to use the setup. It will probably be a month or more before I get the chance again, and I will update as things happen.

Again, thanks everyone!

Klaus

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

-------------------------------------------
http://www.bokehtests.com
http://web.mac.com/kshuler/Site/Welcome.html

Quick Reply