Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Anyone ever try one of these. Wort chiller kit.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 03:38 AM   #11
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lushife

How do you connect it to a garden hose with the silicone tubing?
You can put a barb on with a garden hose fitting like this: https://coppertubingsales.com/storef...pglgttn6he6vi5

Also, if you're not circulating beer through your IC, why use silicone tubing? Just use cheap vinyl tubing if you're just moving tap water through the IC.
Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Octoberfest (ECY15), Sour Brown (ECY01) Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/08/23
Untappd: barrooze

Last edited by barrooze; 12-12-2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Updated link with one from the same site as you linked.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 03:46 AM   #12
kh54s10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 608 Times on 515 Posts
Likes Given: 164

I made mine about a year ago, copper prices have increased since then. I started with 20', vinyl tubing a couple of hose clamps and a hose fitting. As the water got warmer in the summer I added another 20' section that goes in an ice bucket. That only required another coil of tubing and a couple of hose clamps.

I don't have the total but it is 40' and I would take a guess that I spent about $50.

The one you linked to will make the chiller itself. You still need to get the water to and away from the chiller so add that to the total for your final decision.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:53 AM   #13
Lushife
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10
I made mine about a year ago, copper prices have increased since then. I started with 20', vinyl tubing a couple of hose clamps and a hose fitting. As the water got warmer in the summer I added another 20' section that goes in an ice bucket. That only required another coil of tubing and a couple of hose clamps.

I don't have the total but it is 40' and I would take a guess that I spent about $50.

The one you linked to will make the chiller itself. You still need to get the water to and away from the chiller so add that to the total for your final decision.
Yeah I was already taking that into account.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #14
BetterSense
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Also, if you're not circulating beer through your IC, why use silicone tubing? Just use cheap vinyl tubing if you're just moving tap water through the IC
Silicone HOSE (if it's flexible it's called "hose". You don't water your garden with a "garden tube" do you?) can be boiled. If you use silicone hose you don't have to bend the copper into those tricky 90 degree bends up and out of the beer, which is a waste of probably 2 feet of copper. My IC is just a coil. The silicone hose just comes off each end tangentially and curves up. All the copper is in the wort, where it's needed.

Besides, I have 2 5 foot pieces of silicone hose that I use for the IC, siphoning, and bottling. It lasts forever and you can boil it or bake it to sanitize it.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #15
runbad
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Never heard of silicone hose. Always heard it called tubing.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #16
Lushife
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterSense

Silicone HOSE (if it's flexible it's called "hose". You don't water your garden with a "garden tube" do you?) can be boiled. If you use silicone hose you don't have to bend the copper into those tricky 90 degree bends up and out of the beer, which is a waste of probably 2 feet of copper. My IC is just a coil. The silicone hose just comes off each end tangentially and curves up. All the copper is in the wort, where it's needed.

Besides, I have 2 5 foot pieces of silicone hose that I use for the IC, siphoning, and bottling. It lasts forever and you can boil it or bake it to sanitize it.
Ok now I see what you're talking about.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #17
CoalCracker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I bought the 50' 1/2 inch version. Soldered kit. Came out great! Price and shipping were great!

coalcrackerbrewing.blogspot.com
Vintage Kegerator Build
1 BBL Tippy Dump

Old 12-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #18
barrooze
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
I like the bend of copper coming out of the kettle. It provides a nice handle with which you can easily pull it out of your kettle without dipping your hands in your wort. I'm sure you can do that just by pulling the silicone HOSE, but i imagine it's bashing against the side of your kettle as it comes out, not that that matters.
Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Octoberfest (ECY15), Sour Brown (ECY01) Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/08/23

Old 12-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #19
dstranger99
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lushife View Post
https://coppertubingsales.com/storef...pglgttn6he6vi5
I went to Lowes today to look for supplies but the prices were so high that I might as just buy a chiller. So, when I got home I looking for cheaper and found this. Has anyone tried one of these? I think I'm gonna buy it after Christmas.

That really looks like an awesome deal !!.......Good find !!

Primary: Caribou Slobber

Kegged: Stout

Bottled: Cent Blonde, Jakes Brown, Stout

I love Yooper........

Old 12-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #20
barrooze
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
Silicone HOSE (if it's flexible it's called "hose". You don't water your garden with a "garden tube" do you?) can be boiled.

I believe this is your opinion and not a true standard. It appears the difference is how the material is measured (ID vs OD) and has nothing to do with rigidity.

And I know, don't believe everything you read on Wikipedia, but I love the title of the "Hose" article...

Quick Reply