Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Any Fridgerant Experts Out There?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2007, 02:49 AM   #1
homebrewer_99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Any Fridgerant Experts Out There?

I screwed up...OK, I admit it...now I need help.

I have a VERY old Kelvinator fridge with a freezer. I checked it visually around the freezer section and realized that I could drill through the rivets and release the freezer portion from the fridge and remove it entirely leaving behind these two "tanks" which cool the fridge....

Nah, it's not that easy...the lines (are they freon filled or is the cold generated when I plug the sucker back in??) are attached to the aluminum freezer compartment. Now I have a freezer section hanging freely. Because the bolt heads that holds it onto the ceiling of the fridge broke off.

I crushed a couple of inches of the lines thinking I could cut, bend and and solder them shut. Then I realized it's a closed loop system. OH SHIITE!!!

I checked behind the fridge and the large tank that I assume holds freon has what looks like an intake hose that is also crushed and soldered. I'm guessing it can't be refilled.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I can do now to keep the fridge operational? I'd like to use it for lagering.

Last edited by homebrewer_99; 03-17-2007 at 12:18 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2007, 11:51 AM   #2
Tophe

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Did you cut or break any lines in the process? If you did, you would have known it.

How bad are the lines crushed?

you would have been best off to leave the freezer attatched. Most of them have the evaporator in the freezer and let cool air into the refrig. box.

Post a pic of what you got and it'll help.
If you blew the charge out of the thing, it can be refilled but you need to know someone inthe refrigeration business. Special tools needed. It wouldnt be worth it to pay someone to fix it either, be better off buying a new one for what they would charge you.

And yep, they are closed loop systems sealed tightly with no air/moisture in them.

The two "tanks" youre talking about. Can you post a pic, one should be the compresser.

All tanks are empty :(

Drinking: A two year old keg of Eff'd up MawN Lower Beer I made !
TindleKrauft Brewing

Old 03-16-2007, 11:27 PM   #3
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

In order to repair the length of refrigerant line that you crushed, a licensed refrigeration tech must recover the refrigerant down to 15" Hg of vacuum, break the vacuum with nitrogen, cut out the damaged section of tubing, braze in a new length of tubing, pressurize with nitrogen to leak check, purge nitrogen and evacuate the system with a vacuum pump into a deep vacuum and weigh in the critical charge of refrigerant that is stamped on the nameplate of the unit.

So you can see, unfortunately this would more than likely exceed the cost of a new fridge.

Old 03-17-2007, 01:00 AM   #4
Beer Weevel
Recipes 

Time to buy a new fridge, if you modify any of the refrigerent lines it's almost impossible to know exactly how much freon to charge the system with, and for that matter how much refrigeration oil escaped?

Old 03-17-2007, 01:50 AM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Yeah, I thought of that too.

Thanks for all the tips.

Can we close this thread...maybe even delete it?

Old 03-17-2007, 01:58 AM   #6
LouT
Can't wait to go AG...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Don't close or delete this yet.
See if there's a vocational school or HVAC/refrigeration program at community college in your area. For some homebrew, and instructor will make the repair into a class project.
I had a dorm fridge I got for free when I was in summer school, way back in college. When I later realized that she gave it to me because she popped a hole into the aluminum freezer with an icepick (chiseling off the frost), I wasn't sure if it was salvageable. I took it over to a buddy's house, and we looked at it. Then he called his dad down. A few weeks later, it was running great -- free of charge to me. His dad had brought it to a vocational school and they repaired it -- I tell you what, it ran awesome and never needed recharging or anything, from about 1989 until about 2004 (wife gave it away, I was pretty pissed when I found out - it was one of the "big" dorm fridges, and would be perfect as a backup to my 4912.
Food for thought, might be too much effort, but might be worthwhile.

Primary - California Common -finally!
Secondary - nothing, back after year plus hiatus
Keg carbing & conditioning - nada
Drinking - store bought: Loose Cannon IPA, Wachusett IPA.
On deck: Trying to decide (beer); wine kit likely (red wine)

Old 03-17-2007, 02:06 AM   #7
Tophe

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yea, if you lived by me id fix it for you for cost of materials. Im a liscensed reefer tech!

Buy a chest freezer and convert it, just dont F*@# with the copper lines bro!

Your close to the work that'd be done johnsma. Refrigerators arent usually fixing if it has anything to do with the freon system. We never fix them at work, recover the gas, throw em out and buy a new one.

TindleKrauft Brewing

Old 03-17-2007, 02:12 AM   #8
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tophe96
yea, if you lived by me id fix it for you for cost of materials. Im a liscensed reefer tech!

Buy a chest freezer and convert it, just dont F*@# with the copper lines bro!

Your close to the work that'd be done johnsma. Refrigerators arent usually fixing if it has anything to do with the freon system. We never fix them at work, recover the gas, throw em out and buy a new one.
So what number refrigerant do they use?

I have a license for r12 but I'm not even sure that is what it would need. I'm betting r134a is a no-no though, right?
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 03-17-2007, 02:16 AM   #9
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

OK guys thanks for all the tips, but this is a dinosaur fridge. At least 30 years old...read "not worth saving".

I'll get another one later on, trust me.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:31 AM   #10
Tophe

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

His is probably R12 if its that old. 134a is in autos. I think most residential fridges are R22, maybe going to 410a now. Thats one of the new env. friendly refrigerants.

BTW...if it is R12...than it really is not worth fixing that stuff is over $100/lb .

TindleKrauft Brewing

Quick Reply