Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Another TSS2 controller box build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2011, 10:53 PM   #31
bigljd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

He may have gotten some of the 14/3 power cable that you can buy that has the stranded wire inside - it's also color coded. I think if I remember correctly that I used the 14g stranded wire that you can buy at HD/Lowes in ~20' rolls in different colors. I think he's OK with the stranded as long as he doesn't have any of the strands sticking out that could cause a short with another wire.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2011, 12:53 PM   #32
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I am not going to use the shredded wire, I am not comfortable with that. I am even going to tie the shreds coming out of the power cord to a single wire.

Speaking of the power cord, I can easily identify the ground wire but there are two stranded wires. How do I know which is hot and which is neutral? Or can I just treat one of those as hot and the other as neutral?

Kegged (as of 5/14): Rye IPA, Honey Sage Ale, Belgian Golden Strong, California Common, Bavarian Style Lager, Weizen, Coffee Stout

Long range forecast: Douze clone, Gruit

Old 11-25-2011, 04:19 PM   #33
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

The neutral wire typically has writing or is ribbed or has some other identifier... it is part of the electrical code that the neutral wire be identified somehow.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 12-02-2011, 12:01 AM   #34
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I have not had the easiest time with this:

* dealing with the stranded wire on my power cord is freaking me out, little strands keep falling off and making me wonder whether the result won't be a loose connection/fire hazard

* the STC 1000 I purchased has no space for an "always on" outlet

* STC 1000 does not fit the metal gang box I purchased

I am going to purchase another (deeper) gang box tomorrow as well as another cover plate.

At this point I am also concerned b/c I removed the tin solder on the end of the probe wires when I tried to remove the wire insulation in an effort to better fit them to the STC 1000. Now I have more wire strands and I am wondering whether that won't affect the probe operation. Will it?

Finally, I am glad I had a chance to test out my Dremel skills on the 4 gang plate before trying again with the 3 gang plate. I may have cut too much, the STC 1000 looks like it wants to fall right out. I see that most folks leave one clip on, I can't seem to get it attached so that one clip will connect and allow the unit to lie flush with the face of the wall plate. Any suggestions for making the cut on that one side of the face plate opening?

Oh yeah, and does it matter which ports the neutral and hot wires connect to on the power ports? Or are they interchangeable?

Sorry for the stupid questions, I feel like a complete idiot. Not going to give up but do feel like a complete idiot.

Kegged (as of 5/14): Rye IPA, Honey Sage Ale, Belgian Golden Strong, California Common, Bavarian Style Lager, Weizen, Coffee Stout

Old 12-02-2011, 02:29 AM   #35
altrob
Recipes 

still working through a keezer build...slowly slowly. mocked up my controller, but am not an electrician. the idea is to mount the controller at the front of the keezer, with the outlets in a box on the back and the connecting wiring running through the lid/insulation. outlet on the left is "always on" and outlet on the right is "switched." Of course, I don't want to toast the controller or catch my house on fire. feedback welcome!

controller-mock-up.jpg  

Last edited by altrob; 12-02-2011 at 02:38 AM. Reason: updated attachment

Old 12-02-2011, 01:19 PM   #36
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 100

except for that exposed copper on the neutral at the power supply of your controller (cut shorter?) this looks like outlet A is always hot, outlet S is switched (when you get your probe connected)...so looks good

Maltoftheearth - the controller won't give you an "always on" - you wire that from your main power cord.
Hot and neutral may not need to be designated on the controller, it's alternating current anyway -
See altrob's photo

Old 12-04-2011, 12:30 AM   #37
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I did it! The unit is currently plugged in and working. Woo hoo! Thanks for all the help, I feel as good today as I felt bad earlier for not understanding this stuff. Learned a lot, on to building a RIMS system!

Old 12-04-2011, 02:08 AM   #38
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Looks great, glad you stuck it out! Electrical is pretty easy stuff once you get the basics down. It will come in handy knowing the basics too if you do any amount of DYI, heh.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 12-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #39
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
Looks great, glad you stuck it out! Electrical is pretty easy stuff once you get the basics down. It will come in handy knowing the basics too if you do any amount of DYI, heh.
Yeah, this point was not lost on SWMBO who was quick to point out that I can now install a dimmer switch in our dining room.

I have no idea what people did for DIY prior to the internet. There is no way I would have attempted this without help from this board and others.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #40
bigljd
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Nice job!

$10 DIY Stainless Hop Stopper

Quick Reply