Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Another TSS2 controller box build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2011, 12:38 PM   #11
bigljd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
Nice! So you ran it out one side?
Yeah, I ran the power and the probe wire out the left side near the base. I went to Home Depot to get the supplies to build this (except the controller of course, that came from Dwyer), and I forgot to bring your parts list so I went by what looked right and still ended up with the exact same parts as you. I was going to go with a 3 gang box and skip the always on circuit, but I took the controller with me to HD and it seemed to fit better in the 4 gang box so I copied your setup exactly. One suggestion I'd make is to buy a box of push in wire connectors - they make it easy to join your wires in the confined space of the gang box. I got the push in connectors like here (about half way down the page):
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentView?pn=Plugs_Connectors&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
I'm leaving the nails in the gang box for now because I may nail it to a piece of wood to give it more support, although it's pretty stable sitting how it is in the picture.
Thanks again for the great plan - you rock

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2011, 04:35 PM   #12
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I really like the always on for anything from a circulation fan for the fermentor to just plugging in a tool or something. An extra always on outlet is always nice.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 02-12-2011, 01:16 AM   #13
Toasted678
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Totally stoked I came across this thread today because I was planning on wiring up my Christmas gift Love controller to my brew fridge this weekend and I love the portability and simplicity of this setup! Awesome job TomSD!

You used 10 gauge wire for wiring up the inside of the box right?

Old 02-12-2011, 01:33 AM   #14
TomSD
Da Geek

Recipes 

Nah I had some Romex laying around (14/2) and used cuttings from it to do the wiring.

| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 02-12-2011, 01:37 PM   #15
bigljd
Recipes 

I also used 14 gauge inside mine. I've got it controlling my brand new keezer that was delivered yesterday, and it's working great.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:47 AM   #16
Primevci
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

thanks for the build how did you guys program yours? i seen 20 diff ways to do it and confused lol.

Keg 1: No Name IPA
Keg 2: Empty
Keg 3: Cream Soda "Kids"
Primary 1 = Oatmeal Stout
Primary 2 = Alaskan Amber Clone
Primary 3 = ApelfWein

Old 05-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #17
bigljd
Recipes 

Yeah, I think it took me longer to program it than to build it. I feel like you need a degree from MIT to figure out their instructions. After reading the instructions about 10 times I eventually figured them out, but I don't remember what I did now. All I remember how to do is change the temps for the heating and cooling ranges. Not sure if you read this thread, but maybe it'll help you.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/love-tss2-2100-programming-help-112303/

Old 09-01-2011, 10:18 PM   #18
bigljd
Recipes 

I'd like to bump this thread and say that my controller has got me through a hot summer here in the South, and has kept my fermentation fridge under control through about 20 batches of beer and mead this year. I'm glad I kept the 'Always On' circuit too, since I've been using that to run my stir plate for starters. If you are thinking about building a controller, try this!
Here's a picture of it in my beer room:

http://littleshedbrewery.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/dscn1990.jpg

Old 09-01-2011, 10:23 PM   #19
TomSD
Da Geek

Recipes 

Awesome to see a followup! Mine is still going strong too. I shorted the heater side out messing around but haven't really needed it living where I do. If it does become an issue I just have to buy another controller and swap them out. The box setup itself though has worked out great. The cables coming out the bottom hasn't been as much of an issue as I thought it would be either since I leave it flat on the top of the freezer or on the counter next to it.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:02 PM   #20
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 20

OK, I bought almost everything I need -- my local hardware store did not have a 4 gang wallplate so I'll buy it at Lowes. Yuck.

Unfortunately I know nothing about wiring and did not know to ask whether the 14 gauge wire you all used was 2 wire or 3 wire. I assume 3 wire since you have a hot wire, neutral and a ground. Right?

Kegged (as of 5/14): Rye IPA, Honey Sage Ale, Belgian Golden Strong, California Common, Bavarian Style Lager, Weizen, Coffee Stout

Long range forecast: Douze clone, Gruit

Quick Reply