Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Another TSS2 controller box build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2013, 08:45 PM   #111
DSmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUST_BREW_IT View Post
Is this what we should be ordering?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, could a computer power cable (like this) be substituted?
The amazon link is for the 110V version. That's an incredible price for a controller if you don't mind the 1C setting increments. I'd use solid wiring to the terminals, 14 gauge minimum (15 Amp) and install an outlet that is not switched (in addition to your switched outlet) in your box to transition to stranded wire with forks crimped and soldered to the stranded wire.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2013, 10:44 PM   #112
JUST_BREW_IT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSmith View Post
The amazon link is for the 110V version. That's an incredible price for a controller if you don't mind the 1C setting increments. I'd use solid wiring to the terminals, 14 gauge minimum (15 Amp) and install an outlet that is not switched (in addition to your switched outlet) in your box to transition to stranded wire with forks crimped and soldered to the stranded wire.
I found some 12/2. Will that work? Seems awful stiff like it will be tough to work with? Seems like it will be tough to turn with the wire nuts?

Old 08-01-2013, 01:09 PM   #113
DSmith
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUST_BREW_IT View Post
I found some 12/2. Will that work? Seems awful stiff like it will be tough to work with? Seems like it will be tough to turn with the wire nuts?
I'd use 12g THHN wire, sold at Home Depot/ect...by the foot in black/white/green. Stranded wire with forks crimped and soldered to the ends works great for flexible jumpers. Solid is similar to romex with wire nuts.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #114
JUST_BREW_IT
Recipes 

Quote:
I'd use 12g THHN wire, sold at Home Depot/ect...by the foot in black/white/green. Stranded wire with forks crimped and soldered to the ends works great for flexible jumpers. Solid is similar to romex with wire nuts.

I'm just trying to be resourceful. I have a very heavy duty power cable from a server that has these wires in it. Is there any way to tell what gauge it is? It doesn't seem to say anywhere. I wonder if I could strip these cables and use them.

Also, why couldn't I just use wire nuts with stranded cable like this? It would be a lot easier as I have never soldered before.

I feel very confident in my ability to wire the unit up as the diagram specifies however I am not familiar with electrical wiring and want to be sure I get the correct materials so as not to create a fire or shock hazard.

Thanks for all you help!

Old 08-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #115
mcangeli
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Yes and yes. Thats identical to the cord I used.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #116
JUST_BREW_IT
Recipes 

Quote:
Ok, the fork crimps make sense to me now and look easy enough. How important is it to solder the ends to the fork crimp? Again, I've never soldered but perhaps it is time to give it a go

Old 08-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #117
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 100

look at post 99
sure he's in Ireland and the outlets look funny...but that is stranded wire, not solid and looks like about 14g - you should be fine. Just don't try to run two refrigerators or heaters at the same time.

link to wire/load chart

Old 03-29-2014, 02:26 AM   #118
bzwyatt
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

I gotta mod my fridge.

I accidentally left my heat lamp on inside it overnight. It is melted some, around the door where the lamp was and on the ceiling around the light switch where I'm guessing some control/wiring is at, cause it won't turn on now. So I gotta hook up my temp controller directly to the compressor I guess. Right now the fridge is not modded, just plugs into the controller. Luckily I just had a two LBKs in there mostly done, so I didn't lose a big batch and maybe the LBKs will be ok. One is melted though, I'll post a pic maybe...

Is there a link around somewhere for going straight from controller to fridge thermostat or compressor?

Quick Reply