Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Another TSS2 controller box build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2010, 04:51 AM   #1
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Another TSS2 controller box build

I wanted something I could move around and even let people borrow if needed. I also required an unswitched outlet so I could run a fan/blower or other device if needed.

Here is how I did it...

I attached a parts list but if you don't do electrical stuff you will also need some loose wire and wire caps to wire everything together.

Pretty easy setup with a couple caveats...

1) When you trim the cover plate trim it all from one side. Space is tight and you will only be able to use one clip to secure the Love controller. This means you need all your space to be on one side. A Dremel is the easiest way to trim up the cover and it doesn't really need to be cleaned up as it is all behind the controller once everything is installed.

2) Space is so close you'll need to trim the catch release off the clip before assembling or it will just release and loosen up. I didn't snap a pic of it but what needs to come off is pretty obvious and easy to take care of with a Dremel.

3) Wiring it up is all basic stuff but getting the box closed is a real PITA. There is a lot of wiring and space is tight. This is made worse by the controller being deep so there can't be much packed in behind it. Oh and the controller is attached to the cover plate so the controller has to go in last and you can't jockey the wires very much while it is going in. Really not bad though as long as you fold everything in and pre fold the wiring behind the controller so it falls into place as you push the controller in.

Here is the wiring diagram I made. It has a lousy back of the napkin look to it but it works so here it is.

File Type: pdf LoveBox.pdf (12.1 KB, 1234 views)

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2010, 05:20 AM   #2
TomSD
Da Geek

Recipes 

And now using it I realize I should've run the wires out one side or the top so I could stand it up. Not a big issue though just an annoyance.

| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 09-14-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
SweetSounds
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Clever!
I like the TS2 mounted in the plate

Looks schweet!

Put some duct tape over the gauge - Or better yet - Replace the high pressure gauge with a plug - High pressure gauges are useless!

Old 09-14-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
P-J
Recipes 

Liked 248 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
And now using it I realize I should've run the wires out one side or the top so I could stand it up. Not a big issue though just an annoyance.
You have enough slack in your wiring. All you need to do is flip the outlets and cover plate 180° - mission accomplished.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Dang! That's a nice setup.

Could you have used a grey ABS junction box like they mount outside rather than a drywall three-gang electrical box to give yourself a little more room?

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:20 PM   #6
mvdilts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

looks awesome and thanks for the parts list and wiring diagram...I see building something like this in my future...

"Boredom leads to tinkering. Tinkering leads to Rube Goldberg like brewing setups." - Yoda on homebrewing. (thanks to DarthBeer)

Old 09-14-2010, 04:25 PM   #7
TomSD
Da Geek

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
You have enough slack in your wiring. All you need to do is flip the outlets and cover plate 180° - mission accomplished.

I know I'm just dreading pulling it back apart, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSmooth View Post
Dang! That's a nice setup.

Could you have used a grey ABS junction box like they mount outside rather than a drywall three-gang electrical box to give yourself a little more room?
Not sure... size, mainly depth, was the biggest issue. I went around measuring different boxes before I found this one. Even then it is real close... I can only use one clip and I have to trim it back to keep it from releasing.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:43 PM   #8
TomSD
Da Geek

Recipes 

OK I love this thing. Beats the heck out of the old analog one. Testing it on my keezer and I'm thinking I'll have to build a single stage one for the keezer now too, lol.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:35 PM   #9
bigljd
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Thanks for the great build tutorial - took me a couple hours to throw it together, and it's working great!

Old 01-29-2011, 02:43 AM   #10
TomSD
Da Geek

Recipes 

Nice! So you ran it out one side?

Quick Reply