Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Another Son of Fermentation Chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
cyclefiend1123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Another Son of Fermentation Chiller

A shout out to Ken Schwartz and his SOFC. My interpretation uses the cheap expanded polystyrene (the pebbly white stuff). Yeah I know its delicate stuff but I'm not moving it around much. The attractive thing is that the foam I used has a aluminum Mylar surface that acts as a radiant barrier, so that heat has more difficulty getting in (arguably heat has more difficulty getting out as well, but that isn't the issue once the chamber is at the right temperature). I used the Hunter "Just Right" 42995 thermostat from Wallmart as illustrated in

. It nails the temperature perfectly, compared with my lab thermometer. Some slight improvements I made are in the following list:

__ imbedded wood dowels in the side of my chiller in which to mount the thermostat.

__ Added a riser board to tilt the fermentation bucket so that the trub settles away from the spigot (I rack through a spigot instead of a racking cane - anything to reduce the chance of contamination).

__ Used a slightly slower (read "quieter") fan.

Bottom line is that the chiller works like a champ!!

I'll try posting photos in the DIY Projects gallery.

Last edited by cyclefiend1123; 10-06-2012 at 07:41 PM. Reason: added link to photo gallery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
jett78
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 11

How did this thing hold up with the expanded polystyrene? I'm having trouble finding the extruded without having to drive an hour away and am contemplating getting the expanded at my local Home Depot

I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
cyclefiend1123
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jett78
How did this thing hold up with the expanded polystyrene? I'm having trouble finding the extruded without having to drive an hour away and am contemplating getting the expanded at my local Home Depot
The expanded poly is doing fine so far. I try to leave it sitting in one place so it won't get banged around. I've given it a few dents but they're just cosmetic.

When I built the thing I was careful to peel off the Mylar coating in the places that were going to be glued. I sealed all the inside corners with silicone as well.

Quick Reply