Another Kegerator / Fermentation chamber idea -> Need feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maho

Reaction score
Hi All

I have a refridgerator kegerator in the garage sitting at 35F, which currently is holding 3 kegs at the bottom and bottles/cans/sodas on top. It is like this one.

I need a place to ferment lagers, and since this fridge is really not that tall my idea was to build an insulated chamber on top and feed cold air from the fridge into this fermentation chamber. Target temps would be 45-60degC.

To feed the air in I would use a temperature controlled fan with a cover similar to this build.

I have already drilled a bunch of holes in the fridge (3 taps + 2 co2 lines) and found no lines in the sides. All the lines are sitting inside the fridge behind a cover.

My question is:
1. Is it possible to reach the kind of temp I am looking for with this configuration (given that it is on top and heat travels up...)?
2. Do I need to take special considerations for eg. condensation over time?
3. Would I need to feed the top (warmer) air back to the fridge below for good efficiency or is it enough to just blow cold air in?\
4. Would this even work?

Thanks for any comments you may have!
Maho

Back