I picked up a chest freezer off the local classifieds late last year for $75.
I started building the collar last night with 2x4's and used silicone to seal it to the bottom of the freezer. I took the handle off the lid because I want to use 1x8 trim and have it flush with the top of the lid.
Right now I'm thinking I should have sealed the collar to the lid. Not a big deal. I'll just have to scrape off the silicone from the 2x4's and get some more weather stripping. Having the collar attached to the lid will make the lid heaver but I will not have to lift the kegs up as high. Also the eye sore from removing the handle from the lid won't be visible with the collar attached to the lid. Thoughts? Pro's and con's to each?
I ended up pulling the collar off the bottom and using silicone I attached it to the lid. Later today I'll put on the trim, drill a hole for my one tap and upload a picture. Beer will be on tap tomorrow.
Thanks for the heads up on having a tight seal. I siliconed the collar to the lid and am planning on getting a can of spray foam to go around the inside. I also have weather stripping around the bottom edge of collar where it sits on the freezer.
I was thinking of having 2 regular faucets and a stout faucet.
I was having issues with the 1x8 lining up around the edges and gave up last night. This morning I ran to the hardware store and picked up some more fasteners. I secured the trim a little differently and it lines up just fine now. I also added a piece of OSB to the back of the collar to space the lid and collar forward just a little more. I started off trying to do 45 degree cuts with a skill saw. My miter saw won't cut 1x8's. They turned out ok but not great so I cut the angles off. I have some more trim board and will redo the front later today.
I finished up the top trim today. Maybe tomorrow I'll build a platform with some casters so I can roll it around in the basement. I still need to pull the 1x8 trim off and put a light stain and some seal on it.
Now if only my beer would quit foaming when I pour it.
A little overdue for an update. I installed 2 more taps 3 weeks ago but unfortunately don't have them hooked up yet. I have a manifold and more plumbing in the mail. Should have them hooked up and ready to go by the end of next week.
The 4th whole is for a stout faucet. I currently have a cork in it taped off on the back. Once I get the beer gas setup I'll try it with different beers. I was reading the IPA on nitrogen thread last night and it peaked my interest. Depending on my likes I may end up with 2 stout faucets but that's a ways out from now.
Pannell77. I've been battling condensation issues since I started using this thing. The only place I can think of that isn't sealed off is around the back edge were my Johnson temp probe is routed under the weather striping. I'm thinking about drilling a small hole in the collar and using silicone to seal up the hole. I've also been reading up on desiccant bags.