The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Another Brutus System is Born

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2010, 01:46 AM   #21
Snake10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Schweaty,

Very nice build. I loved the ignition system and shiny control box. I'm sure your gonna polish it out like lehrs, right? Way cool! I have one request, a source or part number for your stainless,QD's. Thanks in advance. Lonnie's gonna like it! Again, awesome job.

Snake10
Brutus owner

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2010, 02:06 AM   #22
Bizoune
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That's quite the outfit! Congrats!

Old 07-24-2010, 03:43 AM   #23
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 29

[quote=Maltose;2177998]

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweaty View Post
The BK has the false bottom to filter out the hops since I use whole leaf hops. The drain is on the bottom underneath the false bottom. The copper is there to help remove sulfur in the boil, it contributes to yeast health, and helps with maillard reactions. The copper doesn't help make the wort clear. The constant recirculation during the mash is what I believe helped clarity the most.

I see..So you still have the regular dip tube going through the FB and to the ball valve? Never heard of the copper idea, but if you just made your siphon dip tube out of copper, would that be sufficient to help reduce sulfur?
There isn't a dip tube at all as the drain is underneath the false bottom. If I had to do it all over again when I drilled out the kegs I would have just gone the route you are speaking of but ofcourse I had to be different. If you put in a copper dip tube it would serve the same purpose as the copper in the bottom of my kettle.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:44 AM   #24
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcav View Post
Wow, sweet build!!!! My stand is getting welded and I hope mine turns out half as good as yours!! Thanks for posting the pics, a part list would be nice to see if you get time. I also have bugged Kladue with many a pm and he is so patient with my sometimes very stupid questions, and he is always eager to help. There are many others to that are eager to help and this forum is the best!

Schweaty I might be bugging you with pm's also as I continue building my system!
Yeah, klaude has patience beyond belief that is for sure. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions and I would be more than willing to share anything I have learned from this build. I will work on a parts list tomorrow and get it up here asap.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:46 AM   #25
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake10 View Post
Schweaty,

Very nice build. I loved the ignition system and shiny control box. I'm sure your gonna polish it out like lehrs, right? Way cool! I have one request, a source or part number for your stainless,QD's. Thanks in advance. Lonnie's gonna like it! Again, awesome job.

Snake10
Brutus owner
At this point I just want to brew on the darn thing. I'm not worried about polishing it at this point in time. Perhaps down the road when the pipeline is full and I have some free time. It's a lot of work to get them good and shiny like lehr has his. The QD's are from morebeer.com http://morebeer.com/search?search=quick+disconnect

Old 07-24-2010, 07:10 AM   #26
Maltose
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

very cool, thanks for the info schweaty

Old 07-25-2010, 02:53 AM   #27
bierstein
Recipes 

Wow, beautiful looking brewery. Done exactly the way I'm planning my B10. I look forward to your specs. One question on putting the drains in the bottom of the keg. I've always wanted to do this but since they are under direct fire (especially the MT) aren't you concerned about caramelization or scorching occurring in that piping?

Old 07-25-2010, 06:23 PM   #28
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierstein View Post
Wow, beautiful looking brewery. Done exactly the way I'm planning my B10. I look forward to your specs. One question on putting the drains in the bottom of the keg. I've always wanted to do this but since they are under direct fire (especially the MT) aren't you concerned about caramelization or scorching occurring in that piping?
Never been a problem. Just have to let them soak in oxyclean or pbw for a little while occasionally and they are just fine. They're not directly in the center but more inbetween the center and the skirt. I almost have the parts list done, with prices and links to retailers. If I could do it all over again I would have just put the drains in the side of the keg wall rather than the bottom.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:19 PM   #29
Scottatron
Recipes 

Absolutely amazing dude.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:19 PM   #30
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer

Recipes 

As promised, a parts list with part name, quantity, vendor, website address, and cost. I didn't realize how much I had spent over 5 months but it was worth every penny! I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat, with a few changes ofcourse

Quick Reply