American Brewery Lamp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snccoulter

Reaction score
So I saw the lamps from the American Brewery Lamp link on the side of the page and thought that looks cool. So I took the kids to the Local HD and started picking out joints and other stuff I was going to need. I then sat down with the kids and had them help out. They wanted to get their hands on it all. To even include the soldering iron unfortunately their motor skills and are as good as they should be to use one. So they sat in my lap and I tried to keep them from getting burned. It worked really good they did not to get burned cant say the same for my fingers though. It was a lot of fun and we have one light. It cost about 30 bucks but the hour and half that the kids played was worth it. I do believe I will refine the process a bit and the grandparents will be receiving these from the kids for Christmas. Yes I said it Christmas. I don't believe in the Happy Holidays crap.

Here is the link to the American Brewery Lamps if you have not seen them.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/passthrough.php?id=258&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pearedcreation.com%2F

2013-11-24_20-29-14_131.jpg

2013-11-24_20-28-10_567.jpg

2013-11-24_20-28-51_20.jpg

I like it! Any reason why you chose two tees instead of elbows at the top?

Because I was going to rig it to have a switch in the opening of the T at the front like they have in the pic here, but decided after I got home for this one I did not want to spend a lot of time tearing a rotary switch apart and making it work with a water faucet nob, so I just put a switch on the cord.

CUMBERLAND-COVER.jpg

No I did not but that is a good idea. On the next one I will strip the coating off of it and spray it with a lacquer once the lamp is assembled. That way it will prevent the joints from turning also. Two birds one stone..

That is pretty sweet! Is that the same black pipe and fittings found say at lowes or HD ? And what is the coating you are talking about and what would it do if it was just left on ? How would I strip it ? Last Q do they make fittings like the other lamp to use a bottle ?

Yes it is the same pipe/fittings. There is some kind of an oil based coating. I am guessing that it will remove with any type of solvent. It is just a preservative so the metal does not rust as fast. The only reason I am going to strip it off is so I Can lacquer the pipe and the lacquer will stay. I did not see any. I am guessing it is a specific to their business, If you locate the fitting let me know.

Ok cool thanks for the info , I wonder if the store will mind if I brought a bottle to see if any fittings would work ( lol) , maybe ill email the American lamp people .

I just emailed pear creations about the fitting to thread on the beer bottles , I'll reply back once I get a answer .

Not sure about the fitting, but how about this for a socket? A T4 halogen bulb would out a chunk of light.

One of the longer T4 bulb would look cool in a bottle.

A little JB Weld would stick it all together.

I just emailed pear creations about the fitting to thread on the beer bottles , I'll reply back once I get a answer .

I think your best bet is to get a fitting the bottle neck will fit into and then drill 3 holes around it for thumb screws to hold onto the crown. Similar to the way globes install on a ceiling fan. Using brass thumb screws would fit the style well.

I second the request for how to get a faucet bib to work as a power switch. I couldn't get a simple rotary switch to fit when I tried it. I got a nice micro rotary switch from digikey for $15, but it didn't last long.

I second the request for how to get a faucet bib to work as a power switch. I couldn't get a simple rotary switch to fit when I tried it. I got a nice micro rotary switch from digikey for $15, but it didn't last long.

You could use a "micro-switch", inside the gate valve / faucet bib.
The ones with then little metal "paddle" on them to actuate the switch.
They usually have 3 positions available on them, a common, an "N/O" , ( normally open), an an "N/C", ( normally closed).

Like here:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#micro-switches/=pjsk4b

You can also find them on all types of machinery and equipment, used as "limit switches", when a linkage or the like gets to the desired position, the action starts or stops.

in regards to how to attach the beer bottles to the fitting I found that you can use a rubber (garden hose) washer stretched over the mouth of the bottle works well to hold it in place.

Do get everying lined up properly without using a pipe wrench, is it possible to solder iron pipe with regular plumbing flux and solder ? Did some research and haven't found anything

At least in my house our lamps aren't subject to much manhandling or vibration. As such red loctite may be overkill and blue would suffice. At least gives an opportunity for some rework without drastic measures should the need arise.

It does however reduce the odds of winning the bet when you're drinking around the lamp bragging, " I bet you can't get that thing apart!"

Looking at the OP's link, they kind of look like they are using the small night-light sized bulbs. I haven't tried, but I'd guess one of those would fit through the neck.

Nope, it is a pretty small hole through a bottle. I have been actively looking for a bulb and fixture that will work. I have a perfect location for one of these.

You ever hear anything from them? I'd suspect they'd be hesitant to sell this part considering it's pretty much the only unique part they have but who knows?!

Nope, it is a pretty small hole through a bottle. I have been actively looking for a bulb and fixture that will work. I have a perfect location for one of these.

I have a ceiling fan that uses a T4 bulb with a mini candelabra base; almost looks like that would fit in a bottle. You would probably want something low heat like LED if the bottle is sealed off.

Back