Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Amazing sanding tool especially for metal

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2014, 12:55 AM   #1
FiddlersGreen87
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Amazing sanding tool especially for metal

I just thought I'd share this. I went to Home depot in search of a sanding tool to take the metal edge off my keggle. I can now run my fingers smoothly around the edge of the keggle without a single rough edge, sharp corner, or metal splinter.

I used a grinder and a dremel with both a grinding stone and a sanding stone to really take off the nasty pieces, but there were still some unsmooth potentially sharp spots here and there.

This stone weighs about half a pound and did an incredible job of smoothing out those remaining edges. It has the durability to really put some elbow grease behind and the weight to allow just dragging it over the surface with little effort. The 2 different grits worked great as well. I just thought I'd share for anyone else looking to take the edge off metal... or just about anything else. Great $7 buy.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405904117.183149.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #2
dlaramie08
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks for the share. I was just wondering how to keep from looking like I got in a fight with a cat when I brew.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 07-21-2014, 07:48 PM   #3
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 598

You will have excellent results using a 80 grit Flap Disk since you have a grinder already. Using a stone on a radius means you use the edges of the stone only. The flap disk will follow the curves better and save a bunch of time. Cost is the same as the stone or cheaper.

Baseball is purer than life; it's symmetrical, fair, and dignified. There's no debating what happened: it happened.
MARVIN COHEN

Old 07-21-2014, 07:52 PM   #4
Flboy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Fantastic! I lost my stone a few years ago and had no idea where to get a new one!

Old 07-22-2014, 12:58 PM   #5
FiddlersGreen87
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaefebs View Post
You will have excellent results using a 80 grit Flap Disk since you have a grinder already. Using a stone on a radius means you use the edges of the stone only. The flap disk will follow the curves better and save a bunch of time. Cost is the same as the stone or cheaper.
True, but getting my grinder to fit inside the keggle and smooth out the underside where some of the nastiest burrs were would be a challenge to come out of without slicing my arms up. Just using the edge of the stone to drag around the underside of the lip cleaned them up really well. I was also able to use the corner to nicely de-burr the 2 holes I punched in the bottom for the sight glass and ball valve without really worrying about impacting the diameter at all.

Quick Reply