Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Alternative to the March Pumps

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2009, 07:52 PM   #1
Wing Nut
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Alternative to the March Pumps

Hello all,

Well it is time I built a single tier system and I am looking at pump options. It would seem that March Pumps aren’t easily available in Canada. I have found one retailer but his price is very steep. I was looking into options and have come across two other pumps that may work.

The first is the little Giant CMD-100-5B
Little Giant Pump Company

It has a bronze head with a synthetic impeller. It is rated for 212 degrees and seems to be reasonably available.

The other I found is the Grund Foss UP Circulator pumps. They are reasonably priced at $130 Canadian and are a three speed design. They are also bronze or stainless steel heads.
Grundfos USA

Anyone have any experience with these pumps? What do y'all think is the bronze head ok? Just treat it like brass to remove any lead? Or is this all a waste of time and I should just order the March pump?

Cheers
Wing Nut

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I have a Little Giant pump, but I don't have the model number handy. It's the equivalent of the March pump. Mine has a Ryton (or whatever), plastic pump head. Don't let the temperature ratings stop you from buying any particular pump. The temp ratings relate to the strength of the pump housing under line pressure in a closed system. IOW, the plastic loses strength when it gets really hot, but we home brewers seldom see anything more than a few PSI, so the temp rating is not really relevant. Anything that will handle 150 deg will be OK at anything we can throw at it. IMO, the Little Giant Pumps are of slightly higher quality than the March pumps, but it's very close. My pump is supposed to be able to run dry for up to 8 hours without damage. That's reassuring, although I would certainly never do that unless by accident somehow. It speaks for the integrity of the design I think.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:50 PM   #3
Sudz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

I haven't used the Little Gaint pump your looking at but I have used several other Little Gaint pumps over the years. All I can tell you is they make a surberb product so I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about the Little Gaint pump. Quality outfit.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:11 PM   #4
giligson
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So are you saying that you can get hold of a little giant for less than the price of an equivalent march pump?

We who are about to Brew, salute you!

Old 08-14-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

My concern is that it doesn't say that it's for potable fluids. In fact it says that it's designed for applications that don't include drinking. Perhaps you could write the company and see if your application is covered.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:10 PM   #6
Wing Nut
Recipes 

I am not sure about the little giant, but it seems to be ok aas far as materials go. The pump house I am dealing with is getting the info and pricing for me by monday.

The price on the Grundfos seems realy good, it is $130 Canadian. It comes with a bronze housing and stainless steel rotor and rotor can. It is rated for potable water systems as it was desinged for recirculating hot water in homes.

Over all it seems realy good and i think I will order it. If anyone has some where to host the file I can send the technical specs. I had to get the sales person to scan it for me as the web site seems to be mis placed.

Cheers

Wing Nut

Old 08-14-2009, 11:43 PM   #7
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The grunfos is not mag drive, correct? That's a deal breaker for most brewers as you can't sanitize the seal.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:01 AM   #8
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Could you order a march pump online from say Beer Making and Home Brewing Supplies | MoreBeer, they have a decent price on their march pumps.

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Old 08-15-2009, 12:08 AM   #9
JKoravos
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I use a Gorman-Rupp pump. Iwaki Pump also has a good line of mag drive pumps. I don't know about the temp compatibility.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:36 AM   #10
drez77
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKoravos View Post
I use a Gorman-Rupp pump. Iwaki Pump also has a good line of mag drive pumps. I don't know about the temp compatibility.
The iwaki are only rated at 176*F. When I talked to them they informed me that they had no reason to test them for a higher temp or for FDA approval seeing their application is for reef pumps. With that said, I have one and love it. But new it will cost more than the march.

Quick Reply