Almost Automated Bottle Sanitizer with pics and video

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool setup, I made something similar a few months ago that allows me to sanitize 8 bottles at a time & it's a major time saver. I used 1/2" cpvc fittings but reduced down to 1/4" copper tubing for the bottle posts. I sweated caps on the posts and drilled a small hole in it for a nice little spray inside the bottles. The pump I use is >150 gph IIRC

Got any pics of your set-up. It sounds interesting.

I've used this system now for several batches and am quite happy with the ease and speed sanitizing >40 bottles. I use StarSan. It, of course, foams like crazy, but it does not escape the bucket. Also, I cut four slots in the top of each upright, allowing sanitzer to spray out the sides and better coat the inside of the bottle. For you brewers and bottlers with kids, it's a great way to involve them in the process. My 5-year-old daughter is my bottling assistant: she loves putting the bottles on, spinning them on the uprights, and racking them.

Thanks again for a great DIY.

I've used this system now for several batches and am quite happy with the ease and speed sanitizing >40 bottles. I use StarSan. It, of course, foams like crazy, but it does not escape the bucket. Also, I cut four slots in the top of each upright, allowing sanitzer to spray out the sides and better coat the inside of the bottle. For you brewers and bottlers with kids, it's a great way to involve them in the process. My 5-year-old daughter is my bottling assistant: she loves putting the bottles on, spinning them on the uprights, and racking them.

Thanks again for a great DIY.

Cool, I'm glad it is working well for you. I love using mine.

If you are worried about foaming you can use Sani-clean. It is the low foaming version of starsan. For CIP operations and pumps.

Here it is in a Homer bucket. You only need to mix about 2 gallons of sanitizer solution. Just enough to come up over the pump and the neck of the bottles to sanitize the outside lip.

DSC00327.jpg

DSC00329.jpg

That is great work. You should expand it so you can clean bottles as well. For example, use one of the under-bed rubbermaid containers and rainbird sprinklers. Of course, you would need to turn it off when changing bottles. I bet you could clean a case or two at a time. Heck, add a RIMS style heater and you have a super heated bottle washer and sanitizer :)

automatic dishwasher with a second dry cycle will do all the washing and sanitizing you need
Just rinse the bottles when you drink your beer.

A very innovative solution to sanitizing.....I think it would be more efficient the more bottles involved. Given @50 bottles in a 5-gal. batch, I'll stick with my vinator and Star San. Takes about 15 minutes.

I just wanted to say thank you for posting this. I just built mine today and i think its going to work awesome. My dad had a spare pump for the pond that I convinced him to donate to the project. It was super easy to construct and just made bottling a little bit easier.

I don't see the point of this. I just use a small plastic tote filled with sanitizer. Dunk the bottle in, swirl the sanitizer around inside, dump it out and put the bottle upside down on a rack. Takes 5 seconds at most.

If this was high pressure, I could understand it being used for washing bottles, but it's overly complicated just for getting a small amount of sanitizer inside of a bottle.

Back