Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > All stainless (weld free & JB weld free) heatstick design on the cheap

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #21
ScubaSteve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Keep an eye on it....I wouldn't trust a heatstick with a void in it. You will still get condensation on the inside of the pipe. Not to mention, heating and cooling causes the fittings to expand/contract and your watertight properties can change. At least you have a GFCI!

Stealthcruiser Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #22
Stealthcruiser
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 2039

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Keep an eye on it....I wouldn't trust a heatstick with a void in it. You will still get condensation on the inside of the pipe. Not to mention, heating and cooling causes the fittings to expand/contract and your watertight properties can change. At least you have a GFCI!

Good advice!

You could always drill a drain hole in the piece between the elbows, (above the water line), as a "steam vent", and when you're done for the day, hang the setup inverted to insure it drains.

Just don't drill into your wire!

Corned Beef............The other pink meat.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #23
CoopDvr
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Awesome. That looks great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve
I'm assuming that fitting on your cord is making an airtight seal: if so you can add silica to the inside to absorb any trapped humidity. If there are no leaks, you'll stay dry inside and never have to replace it.
Look for "indicating silica". The stuff I use is orange and turns green when it becomes saturated with moisture. Add about an ounce and open it up at the cord after the first few uses to inspect. If the silica stays orange after a few checks, you can seal it back up and not worry about it anymore.
The expansion of the fittings is negligible. These are designed for super-heated steam at pressures of at least 150 psi (or higher depending one the grade of the fittings). If fitted correctly, they should never leak for your light duty application.
Great job. Cheers!

Old 10-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #24
carkom
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

First brew day using the stick was a success. Helped boil my wort in half the time. Thanks for the advice on air tight spaces and the silica is a great idea! I'll look into it.

Quick Reply